Help Barred Rock Hen or Roo?

Lilyrush

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Western Washington
I have a two Barred Rocks they're over four months old now. One is definitely a hen but this other one I can't tell! It's comb is much bigger but I don't feel like its feathers are that much longer and it hasn't crowed but that might be because I have another Roo that is more dominant or whatever

. What do you think?

I have a two Barred Rocks they're over four months old now. One is definitely a hen but this other one I can't tell! It's comb is much bigger but I don't feel like its feathers are that much longer and it hasn't crowed but that might be because I have another Roo that is more dominant or whatever . What do you think?
That's just a bossy lady. You can tell right away by the tail. A quick tip is the tips of the feathers in the tail and hackle areas. A roo will have pointed tips where a hen will have rounded ones. This bird also lacks a roos sickle feathers.

welcome-byc.gif

That's a hen. Looks like she should be laying, if not currently then literally any day now.

Been going back and forth on gender with this almost 4 month old wyandotte/Orpington mix for a while. I swear this bird has hackle feathers, but the comb and wattles are the same shade of pink and the same size as they were 6+ weeks ago. Opinions...

Been going back and forth on gender with this almost 4 month old wyandotte/Orpington mix for a while. I swear this bird has hackle feathers, but the comb and wattles are the same shade of pink and the same size as they were 6+ weeks ago. Opinions...

I would say young cockerel. Give him a bit longer to be sure. I don't think he's old enough to even have all his tail feathers in, and the big breeds can be a bit slow to mature.

Back
Top Bottom