Help Barred Rock Hen or Roo?

Been going back and forth on gender with this almost 4 month old wyandotte/Orpington mix for a while. I swear this bird has hackle feathers, but the comb and wattles are the same shade of pink and the same size as they were 6+ weeks ago. Opinions...
That's a cockerel, especially if that comb has been that pink for over 6 weeks! And not an Orpington/Wyandotte cross, no white skin or rose comb.

Hey, junebuggena...just wanted to say you were right about my pullet barred rock last spring! She was my first to lay. Thank you!

Well, the gender is not a problem at this point - although I'll admit I would rather this beauty was a pullet. But this bird is from one of my own (chooks') eggs that I incubated. The only possibility for roos would have been my dominant boy - the buff Orpington - or an outside chance the white rock I ended up culling made a sneak attack
1f609.png
. Which hen is something else altogether. I figured the only way these colors could have shown up is from my gold laced Wyandotte. I do have a barred rock also, but what other possibilities could create this 'palette'? Most of my girls are buff or red.

Well, the gender is not a problem at this point - although I'll admit I would rather this beauty was a pullet. But this bird is from one of my own (chooks') eggs that I incubated. The only possibility for roos would have been my dominant boy - the buff Orpington - or an outside chance the white rock I ended up culling made a sneak attack
1f609.png
. Which hen is something else altogether. I figured the only way these colors could have shown up is from my gold laced Wyandotte. I do have a barred rock also, but what other possibilities could create this 'palette'? Most of my girls are buff or red.

Been going back and forth on gender with this almost 4 month old wyandotte/Orpington mix for a while. I swear this bird has hackle feathers, but the comb and wattles are the same shade of pink and the same size as they were 6+ weeks ago. Opinions...

I agree this is a cockerel. Looks like the white Rock boy got lucky
wink.png
. Unless by some chance your buff rooster is a Rock, not an Orpington---can you post a pic of him? The cockerel in question has definite barring. Could be from a barred Rock momma, or some white Rocks carry "hidden" barring obscured by the dominant white.

So, my guesses are...a buff Rock rooster over a barred Rock hen, or a white Rock rooster over a barred Rock hen. I'm thinking the former. A dominant white bird like the white Rock isn't near as likely to churn out a buff offspring as a black offspring.

I have another question regarding our nesting boxes. A few of my ladies sleep in the nesting boxes at night, that won't deter the hens from laying eggs in them right? My chickens are just about 20 weeks now and no eggs.

I have another question regarding our nesting boxes. A few of my ladies sleep in the nesting boxes at night, that won't deter the hens from laying eggs in them right? My chickens are just about 20 weeks now and no eggs.
No, they will still lay in those boxes, but the eggs will be covered in poo. Roosts should be at least a foot above the nest boxes to discourage this behavior.

ok maybe I need to move my roost bars then. It started out with just my silkies sleeping in the nesting boxes because they couldn't reach the bar but now half my chickens sleep in the boxes. I may need to post some pictures and get help with what I've got going on.

I agree this is a cockerel. Looks like the white Rock boy got lucky ;) . Unless by some chance your buff rooster is a Rock, not an Orpington---can you post a pic of him? The cockerel in question has definite barring. Could be from a barred Rock momma, or some white Rocks carry "hidden" barring obscured by the dominant white. 

So, my guesses are...a buff Rock rooster over a barred Rock hen, or a white Rock rooster over a barred Rock hen. I'm thinking the former. A dominant white bird like the white Rock isn't near as likely to churn out a buff offspring as a black offspring. 
Ok, white roc daddy is confirmed then. My BO is from a reputable breeder, so I know what I have there. But as far as momma - would a barred rock throw the gold like this? I do have a BR hen. But also had a Dominique and a Red laced Wyandotte at that time. (Picture is my buff Orpington)

Ok, white roc daddy is confirmed then. My BO is from a reputable breeder, so I know what I have there. But as far as momma - would a barred rock throw the gold like this? I do have a BR hen. But also had a Dominique and a Red laced Wyandotte at that time. (Picture is my buff Orpington)
The red hens in the background could produce such a chick.

Back
Top Bottom