HELP Botulism? Heat stroke?

DuckTheChicken

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 25, 2015
I have an older female who seems very weak is throwing her head around and wobbling. Her eyes seem cloudy I have a flock of eight and she’s the only one like this. I’m not sure what to do I have her separated the best I can. Any advice I have no clue what’s going on. I haven’t really been present lately as I’ve been house sitting so I’m not sure how long this has been going on.

Attachments

• DC440E3A-C0A2-4325-BC79-C8F9AB163143.png
    DC440E3A-C0A2-4325-BC79-C8F9AB163143.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 4,480
I have an older female who seems very weak is throwing her head around and wobbling. Her eyes seem cloudy I have a flock of eight and she’s the only one like this. I’m not sure what to do I have her separated the best I can. Any advice I have no clue what’s going on. I haven’t really been present lately as I’ve been house sitting so I’m not sure how long this has been going on.
She could be malnourished and this could be due to being unable to eat for the past day for any number of reasons. For example she may have ingested something and it could be stuck in her gizzard.

All you can do is give vitamin water and hope she can still eat.

You can likely rule out botulism, you would have to give charcoal flush and it wouldnt really guarantee she survives it. Botulism is unlikely, but she would be fully paralyzed by tomorrow and die if she is not given very special treatment to keep her breathing.

If you suspect heat stroke, keep her in a shady spot with lots of water available. I dont know personally how susceptible ducks are to heat stroke compared to chickens, but chickens can take a whole day to recover from it. Best would be give her lots of water or electrolyte with a vitamin and hope she improves.

Back
Top Bottom