Help! Broke a bit of the shell from the first pip region, should I worry? Will the membrane dry out?

Frodo the Pekin

Chirping
Jul 26, 2023
So, I've 2 duck eggs under a broody chicken. It's day 26 and they have both had their first pip today. I was impulsive, and not thinking much and I just ripped a bit of the shell from the first pip area. You can see inside the egg through that little hole. Should I be concerned? Will the membrane dry out now? The pic is not the best, but panic got the best of me once more and I didn't focus on getting really good photos, but for reference, that's the size of the hole I poked

Attachments

• 20230821_185657.jpg
    20230821_185657.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 59
Update us on progress. If worse comes to worse, you can help it out of its shell, but that is a last resort. For now let nature take its course.
So this is the update. The other chick was out this morning, on day 27, when I came to check. The other one had made no progress. I assumed it was shrink wrapped, and sure enough, it was. I humidified the membrane and peeled off some of the shell, until enough was peeled to let the baby get out. It did, but now it seems rather weak and keeps trying to remain in a fetal position. The other one looks perfect, but this one is kinda runty. I let them be under the hen to get warm and dry

So this is the update. The other chick was out this morning, on day 27, when I came to check. The other one had made no progress. I assumed it was shrink wrapped, and sure enough, it was. I humidified the membrane and peeled off some of the shell, until enough was peeled to let the baby get out. It did, but now it seems rather weak and keeps trying to remain in a fetal position. The other one looks perfect, but this one is kinda runty. I let them be under the hen to get warm and dry
I hope your chick is ok! You did well leaving it alone, update us next time you check on it.

Back
Top Bottom