Help needed in hatching wrong end!

Putnis

Hatching
Apr 6, 2024
Hello! This is my second hatch, with mixed turkey/chicken eggs, that I made a lot mistakes with, from the first day.

I had opened incubator a lot, to take out already hatched ones, because I was so stupid that I put in some chicken eggs in the same time as turkey eggs 🤦🏻‍♀️

Some turkey eggs never developed, some died inside the shell, one died after I tried to help to fast, when it pipped, but its beak got stuck in drying membrane...

Now I have this one turkey chick, that piped the wrong end at day 27. I was really desperate to make this one live, so i checked the pip and he only broke a shell, but not the membrane. Those eggs has some really thick membranes, that are hard to pinch, so I made a little hole, so it could breathe. But I didnt see his beak, so I took off a bit more shell. When I found it, he was trying to pierce membrane in other place, without success. Made a hole there, it bled a little bit, so put it back in bator to let blood and yolk absorb fully.
Now on day 28, there was no progress, and this one also got his beak stuck to the stone hard dried membrane 🤦🏻‍♀️ Sooo, now I took away more shell to try understand how he is positioned and free its beak from those membranes, that, I hope, would probably be without blood. But nope, there was still blood in there, so put the egg back in bator again.

My questions are - can he breathe only with its mouth? Because his nostrils are still covered with inner membrane and Im afraid to take it away, because then it bled again.
Second - after how long time I can be sure that all blood and yolk is absorbed in malpositioned turkey chick, so I can safely help him hatch further?

Temp. is 37,2 C° and humidity around 70%
Would be really thankfull for any help, this is awesome place to get questions answered and find needed info, thank you!

When it dried a bit, I was able to move that inner membrane a little bit away from his nostrils. But he's not chirping, just opening his mouth sometimes. In his beak got in that yellow discharge, to which he was glued before. I did apply some vaseline on membranes, but not sure, how long he can sit there like that...

Attachments

• 20240406_121838.jpg
    20240406_121838.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 7
He died...
After death, opened remaining shell, his yolk havent absorbed at all, after more than 24 h from trying to pip. It looked like he drowned in some liquid, that was still in his mouth? Or it was me, opening too much of shell?

He died...
After death, opened remaining shell, his yolk havent absorbed at all, after more than 24 h from trying to pip. It looked like he drowned in some liquid, that was still in his mouth? Or it was me, opening too much of shell?
I'm sorry for your losses! And I admire you trying to help them so much and learning from it. Found your article because I'm looking at issues with humidity, trying to not have mine be too high. Thank you for sharing the process you experienced, and my best to you in your future hatching!

I'm sorry for your losses! And I admire you trying to help them so much and learning from it. Found your article because I'm looking at issues with humidity, trying to not have mine be too high. Thank you for sharing the process you experienced, and my best to you in your future hatching!
Thank you for your kind words, they really made me feel better about what happened.
In the end, from all the eggs(maybe 15 turkey eggs), i got only 3 turkey chicks to hatch, one also with help. I waited for the rest until day 38, in hopes that maybe some are just lazy hatchers. But they didnt hatch, so I opened the rest and was heartbroken to see, that in most eggs there was fully developed chicks, that just died inside the shell... Now I blame myself for making all those mistakes from start and also for not opening those eggs earlier, so that maybe I could save at least one chick. Air sack membranes looked a bit dried, but chicks were moist and with liquid around them. I dont know what actually coused this, but I was surprised how thick and hard to brake membrane and shell was... So I started to think, maybe it has also something to do with too strong egg shells? They had calcium deposits on them, both chicken and turkey... and in both was hatch fails... But its only one guess, there was probably several reasons.

Thank you for your kind words, they really made me feel better about what happened.
In the end, from all the eggs(maybe 15 turkey eggs), i got only 3 turkey chicks to hatch, one also with help. I waited for the rest until day 38, in hopes that maybe some are just lazy hatchers. But they didnt hatch, so I opened the rest and was heartbroken to see, that in most eggs there was fully developed chicks, that just died inside the shell... Now I blame myself for making all those mistakes from start and also for not opening those eggs earlier, so that maybe I could save at least one chick. Air sack membranes looked a bit dried, but chicks were moist and with liquid around them. I dont know what actually coused this, but I was surprised how thick and hard to brake membrane and shell was... So I started to think, maybe it has also something to do with too strong egg shells? They had calcium deposits on them, both chicken and turkey... and in both was hatch fails... But its only one guess, there was probably several reasons.
It's really hard to open them up and find that. I tried to let a hen hatch out last year and when it didn't happen I investigated and found the same thing. I've heard people say that humidity being too high during development means there's too much liquid left when birds are ready to hatch out, and I don't know if that was what happened with mine or if it was a different issue but it's just a hard find. You're very brave for investigating, and I have no doubt you and I will have success in the future! I'll keep learning from any losses and do my best. Thank you for sharing your experiences, I'm sure they'll help someone else and hopefully you as well! 🤗🙏

Back
Top Bottom