Sally's GF3 thread

As usual, I couldn't refrain from sawing off the heel(s), slathering on some butter, and eating them warm from the oven. That made the loaf collapse a bit. Oh well.

I can live with that because...

At lunch today, I had the best sandwich I've had on homemade GF bread, ever! Soft, squishy, and not crumbly! It was like... well, BREAD!

I have a couple tweaks I'm going to try next time I make it. (Oh yes, there will be a next time... soon!) #1, lower the oven temp to 350 from 375, as my oven runs hot, I'm pretty sure. The bread was plenty done at 35 minutes, and the recipe said 45-60 minutes. #2, lessen the amount of salt by a bit. It called for 2 t, and I'm going to knock it down to 1 3/4 t.

I know salt is for more than flavor in baking, but I could taste it a bit too much...? I think? Anyway, I'll try it and see what it does.

A couple helpful ideas. Get a thermometer, They are very reasonable.
Next,, If you have a meat thermometer,, use it to measure internal bread temperature. I use mine all the time. 195°F to 205°F indicates done.
Next,,, There is nothing wrong with cutting into warm bread. Besides what all the esssperts klaim,,, We only live once. Never deprive yourself of that joy of fresh warm bread. I think, if you place bread vertically on board after cutting,,, it may prevent collapsing..(while warm) Worth a try. It will also seal that end from drying. :idunno

Also, it never goes bad. Shelf life is indefinite. That's good, because I think mine is about 25-30 years old...
I think Hostess Twinkies have a similar shelf life. :old
1714453228857.png

I'd heard that about Twinkies!

2000 years from now, archeologists will find one, still in the wrapper, buried in the rubble of an ancient building. It will take them many years to figure out its use in our civilization. When they do unwrap the mystery, what will they think of us?

We were so brilliant as to make food that can never mold or decay? Or we were so dumb as to think of those as edible?

I'd heard that about Twinkies!

2000 years from now, archeologists will find one, still in the wrapper, buried in the rubble of an ancient building. It will take them many years to figure out its use in our civilization. When they do unwrap the mystery, what will they think of us?

We were so brilliant as to make food that can never mold or decay? Or we were so dumb as to think of those as edible?
You know,,,, they may find some of your honey in a small jar when that search areas in Michigan. Still good:drool:drool:drool

Back
Top Bottom