HELP Broody muscovy ripped open an egg, threw it out of the nest, duckling is still alive!

jofanx

Songster
5 Years
Oct 30, 2015
Two broody muscovies are sitting on one nest that are due to hatch any day. I walked into the coop this morning to collect eggs from the non-broodies and saw what looked like a crushed egg in the furthest corner from their nests. It had a duckling inside, already cold, wasn't moving. Thought it was dead and that they threw it out because it died and was going to throw it out but set it to the side since I usually take a closer look at failed eggs.

I thought I saw movement and when I poked it, the inner eyelid flickered. I immediately restarted my incubator (turned it off last night after the last of my bator clutch hatched), wrapped it in plastic (with poked holes) and put it in. It's covered in muck and stuff. What do I do? Do I wash it?

Do I confiscate the rest of the eggs and hatch them in the incubator? I have no idea why they did this. I heard peeping from under them last night when I was locking the coop so I know they're pipping. Why would they reject a clearly live duckling that was probably pipping?

Are the first time Mommas ?..Or possibly they know something is wrong with it...?
I would just leave the eggs in the nest and see how it goes..:frow

They are first time mommas but have been really good up to this point. Out of 12 eggs, 8 made it (4 went moldy last week). I'll leave the eggs with them but if they do this again, do you think it would be better to no longer allow them to brood?

They are first time mommas but have been really good up to this point. Out of 12 eggs, 8 made it (4 went moldy last week). I'll leave the eggs with them but if they do this again, do you think it would be better to no longer allow them to brood?
They are learning and possibly just didn't understand what to do when the first one pipped. Did that Duckling survive?..Slip it under her Once the others are hatching out. They won't know it was newly added..

They are learning and possibly just didn't understand what to do when the first one pipped. Did that Duckling survive?..Slip it under her Once the others are hatching out. They won't know it was newly added..

The eggshell is pretty much falling apart and I don't know if it will survive--it hasn't absorbed anything yet. It started breathing in the incubator when it warmed up though. I'm worried all the gunk on it will cause an infection (they pushed it into poop).

The eggshell is pretty much falling apart and I don't know if it will survive--it hasn't absorbed anything yet. It started breathing in the incubator when it warmed up though. I'm worried all the gunk on it will cause an infection (they pushed it into poop).
Don't worry about that..It should be okay as long as it's absorbing the yolk. Give it another 24 hours before you interfere..You can put some mineral oil on the shell to keep it moist.

Back
Top Bottom