HELP Buff Orphington wheesing/crying

Chicky63

Chirping
Mar 22, 2019
Hartwell, GA
I have 6 10 week old chicks. This morning I looked in on them with my ring doorbell and could hear one that was 'crying'. Rushed out to the coop and it's my Bella, a Buff Orphington.

I picked her up, nothing seems to be physically wrong with her. She's continously making these sounds. I took a video don't know how to upload. My husband says it's weezing, to me it's crying.

After I put her down she's moving about normally and even went to the feed bowl, sstill making the sounds.

I use hemp in the coop and have riversand in the run.

For video, upload to youtube and provide us a link.

It would be good to hear the noise she is making.
Is she able to move around, eat/drink?
Photos of her poop may help.

We have brought her into the house, gave a few drops of VetRX. Yes shes is moving about normally, eating alfalfa sprouts and her feed. Poop is normal. Eyes are normal. Ill try and do the you tube video - haven't done that before.

It sounds like she has Stridor - it could be that she has something blocking the airway (have you looked inside her beak/throat?). The blockage could be food, mucous, canker/sores or swollen tissue from respiratory illness.

I would keep a watch on her, hopefully it will resolve on it's own in a few hours. I would not try to force any water or food on her at the moment. If she eats/drinks on her own that's fine, but I would worry she would choke if you tried to syringe fluids into her.

It sounds like she has Stridor - it could be that she has something blocking the airway (have you looked inside her beak/throat?). The blockage could be food, mucous, canker/sores or swollen tissue from respiratory illness.

I would keep a watch on her, hopefully it will resolve on it's own in a few hours. I would not try to force any water or food on her at the moment. If she eats/drinks on her own that's fine, but I would worry she would choke if you tried to syringe fluids into her.
No I haven't looked inside - if there is something in there what do I do? I really appreciate your help.

Well, I would take a look to see if she's got food or something stuck in there first. If you see something, it would be good to have someone take pictures so you can study them and come up with a plan for removing the object.

Have you noticed anyone coughing or sneezing?

I agree with Wyorp Rock that she has stridor, a high pitched wheezing sound from something partially blocking her airway. This happens sometimes when they have aspirated a piece of feed. Most times, they cough it up within a few hours. I would try to offer her some fluids to drink, but let her drink on her own. Milk is not good for chickens since it can give diarrhea in a large amount, but most chickens love it and will drink it readily. So, this is just a suggestion, but if you put a small amount in a cup and offer it to her, I would bet that she would try some, just to get her drinking.

Well, I would take a look to see if she's got food or something stuck in there first. If you see something, it would be good to have someone take pictures so you can study them and come up with a plan for removing the object.

Have you noticed anyone coughing or sneezing?

We checked and couldn't find anything. no coughing or sneezing, eyes are clear. She's doing all normal things except as the weeze.

Called our vet and took her in. As we were waiting for a few minutes she didn't weeze for a little while (1st time all day), we did notice that her crown and beak went back to normal color. She started weezing again, got bright red. She weighs 1.135 pounds, he listened to her and confirmed she was weezing. Feels it's bronchitis and said to give her VetRX 3 times a day and he prescribed a steroid 2 times a day.

If it is bronchitis, she should be sneezing, since that is a common symptom. Hopefully, she will improve. Glad you could see a vet. Keep us posted on how she does.

Back
Top Bottom