Help! Buldge on Indian runner duckling belly

1236Mama

Hatching
Mar 18, 2023
Hi, I am new to hatching and this has been bittersweet and full of learning. I incubated 4 eggs - the first pipped and started to zip on time, I left it and then next morning it had made no progress and had passed.

#2 hatched with some help from me the next day and is rocking its solo life right now

#3 --- HELP! pipped and zipped yesterday and finally has gotten out of its shell BUT it looked premature compared to #1 and #2.. not as large and still wet today. There was blood as well. I left them in the incubator hoping it would be ok, its vocal and moving breathing but not up moving around and again not the same as #2 after hatch...they have finally kicked the egg entirely off and has a buldge on their belly, is it the egg yolk I see? What is this buldge? Picture attached.

#4 egg seems to be way behind...today is day 32 I can see movement and it is trying to internally pip but again seems small compared to the 1st 2....

Any advice?! Help...tips. (yes they were all incubated at the same time, picked daily until I had 4, locked down together On day 25)

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230413_151530.jpg
    20230413_151530.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230413_152826.jpg
    20230413_152826.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 3
That is probably the yolk has it been absorbed now? Best to do when one hatches like this is to put them into a small bowl lined with dry paper towel and keep them in the bator until the yolk is fully absorbed. that way the duckling doesn't accidentally drag itself and cause the sac to rupture. Also, don't try and force feed water or feed until it's able to hold its head up. Did you assist? assisted hatches mean it takes them longer to recoup. But if the yolk is absorbed they don't need to eat for 24-36 hrs since they are using up the yolk.
Please update and very sorry this was replied to on Thursday,

Back
Top Bottom