5 hour old chick not moving

Starshollow

Chirping
Apr 22, 2023
Hey all
I have a chick just hatched today. Day 23. She pipped yesterday evening so I did help her this afternoon and removed the shell. Kept the membrane moist. She hatched and has barely moved.

I know her odds are poor. At this small can I try egg yolk?

Tia

This advice comes from my experience ONLY… She’s going to want to sleep a lot the first 24 hours. Leave her in the incubator to rest and gain strength. The temperature stays the same, and she doesn’t need to eat that first day anyhow since she has the absorbed yolk to sustain her. What she needs is a constant temperature and rest. Many of my chicks have spent their first day sleeping a lot. It takes a lot of energy to hatch.

At this small can I try egg yolk?
I'll second the suggestion made in post #3

And add that if you're in the US and are able.. poultry nutri drench is incredible stuff with rapid absorption, digestion not required in order to work.

With chick held in hand and beak facing forefinger.. drip just below nostrils and the chick will swallow as it rolls around into the mouth. Use the bend in the forefinger to help catch and direct the drip and beak together. This method will also work for sugar water/egg yolk.. after a proper post hatch rest period.

Hope your late hatcher thrives! :fl

Great thank you. I gave a little yolk forgot to add the sugar. I have never had one so tired. Its only my second hatch so I still don't know what I'm doing....

Back
Top Bottom