48 hours after hawk attack, need advice on chicken health.

Fam8Kat

Hatching
Feb 20, 2024
It's been 48 hours since one of our isa brown hens was attacked by a hawk. She is average size and is about a year old. We managed to chase it off just as it made its first attack on her leg. There seems to be no physical injuries or blood other than a bare patch of skin on the upper thigh under her right wing. I believe she went into shock.
I've kept her isolated in a covered box in a quiet room and have given her water with supplements and scrambled eggs. She drank some of the water and ate a little of the eggs. She's also pooped yesterday and it looked normal albeit a little watery.
Today, I sat with her outside for sunshine and reminded the flock of her existence. I gave her feed softened with water and she readily ate a small amount. She's doing a little better than the day before.
She's relatively alert and her legs do respond to touch and when moved. However, she seems to favor her left leg when placing her upright and also topples forward. When she moves herself, she doesn't seem to have much balance and so rolls over clumsily. What is the issue and is there anything else I can do to help her?

It's been 48 hours since one of our isa brown hens was attacked by a hawk. She is average size and is about a year old. We managed to chase it off just as it made its first attack on her leg. There seems to be no physical injuries or blood other than a bare patch of skin on the upper thigh under her right wing. I believe she went into shock.
I've kept her isolated in a covered box in a quiet room and have given her water with supplements and scrambled eggs. She drank some of the water and ate a little of the eggs. She's also pooped yesterday and it looked normal albeit a little watery.
Today, I sat with her outside for sunshine and reminded the flock of her existence. I gave her feed softened with water and she readily ate a small amount. She's doing a little better than the day before.
She's relatively alert and her legs do respond to touch and when moved. However, she seems to favor her left leg when placing her upright and also topples forward. When she moves herself, she doesn't seem to have much balance and so rolls over clumsily. What is the issue and is there anything else I can do to help her?
You need to be aware that if she had been laying, she may have stress related issues like not laying right away, or laying "fairy" eggs (much smaller than she's accustomed to lay.

Update: After placing her by the flock outside of the coop, she's begun to take interest in pecking through the dirt as normal. My only worry is that she won't stand/walk on her own.

Attachments

• PXL_20240220_184712413.jpg
    PXL_20240220_184712413.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Is there anything I can do to help that?
This advice is from our experience with a hawk attack. There may be others here on BYC that have had different issues and can offer more solutions. It sounds like you're giving her plenty of love and attention, plus sitting outside with her should tend to calm her down. I know you've probably done a thorough check for puncture wounds, but if you do find one it needs to be disinfected and some ointment applied. Good luck with that girl. Are your girls free ranging, or do you have a "fortress"? We built a fortress, and we sleep well at night.

If it grabbed her leg she may have a pulled or torn muscle or a sprain type injury if you don't see any obvious cuts or swelling all you can do is let them rest and maybe aspirin for the pain.

I use the aspirin powder they sell at TSC, mixed in with a treat or water (about 40mg) once or twice per day. Mostly it just takes time.

Earlier this year I had a guinea fowl get completely lamed by an accident. She had no use of her leg at all. I couldn't find anything obvious other than she absolutely wouldn't put weight on one foot. I isolated her for a couple days and vet wrapped her leg just above the foot. It was slow going, probably at least 4 weeks until she put any weight on the bad foot at all but she left the wrap alone until six weeks when she could walk more or less normally.

Now several months later I can't tell which guinea hen used to have a limp.

Hawks can I flick enough of a hit to break bones or cause internal injuries. Could you get a video of her when standing and trying to walk, then upload it to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here? You could try a sling under her body to hold her up to walk some. Can she walk if you lift her to a standing position? Or hold a leg up, hopping or puts weight on the leg? Are there any open wounds or punctures that could be hidden under feathers? If would make a chicken sling chair with food and water cups attached. She can remain in that for periods throughout the day, then let her sleep at night. Here is a good sampling of chicken slings and chairs especially posts 5, 11-14:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom