HELP! Bumble Foot in a rooster

AthenasOwl

Songster
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Olympia, Washington
My daughters rooster has bumble foot. Problem is, we can't see where it started...even from the start, about 2 weeks ago, he started to limp, we checked to see if he had any sores. He didn't. He was just limping. We figured that it was because he sprained a leg or something like that, so we left him be. About 1/2 week later his leg got huge. I took him to the Vet and he lanced the foot (also not able to see where he hurt it) he started to get a little cottage cheese stuff out, and also puss. He instructed us to soak his foot 2 times a day in epson salt, and then 'milk' the leg and foot pushing that crap out, and leave it open, dry, and clean. (also gave him antibiotics, which doesn't matter to me, as we aren't going to eat him)

We have been doing this now for 6 days. It looks better, but it still is swollen up on his leg, and we still are getting puss out of it. I don't know WHAT to do with him! He is my 6 year old daughter's baby and is the ONLY rooster she isn't afraid of, so he is more pet than rooster to us.

I am so scared, because I don't have a clue what to do, his foot is still a little swollen and it goes into his back toe (which he doesn't move right now because it is so swollen) and up his leg about 1 to 1 1/2 inches back by his back tendon. The Vet I took him to is farm animal Vet, not a bird vet. I don't even have a clue as to where to even start healing him!

This is what i would do if i was in your shoes,others may not agree, but this is how i would deal with it~ I would continue with the antibiotics. Where the puss is coming out,i would observe if the wound is shrinking or not. I would 3 times a day rinse that wound with hydrogen peroxide. If the wound is not shrinking, i would open it with a razor blade to expose it to air and again rinse with peroxide continually to get the infection out....To me action is better then no action. Just my 2 cents.

I reopened it again, and we got some puss out, but there is a "Plug" that we need to get out, but don't know where it is..I don't know what is bone and what is the infection. I am half way tempted to either call the Vet again, or call a bird Vet, that we have in our area. I will post a picture of it tomorrow. I am so exhausted..He is stable right now, so I am going to try to figure out what to do.

Thank you for the response!

Colette

Back
Top Bottom