Help...Can hear chick chirp in the egg and do I need to do anything.

MagicMarcy66

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Orange County, California (Tustin)
We took our broody hen out to go poop this afternoon and while she was out I decided to candle the eggs quickly and in egg #4 I could hear the chick peeping. I called my son to bring Bertha back in and put her immediately on the eggs again. Egg #4 was the only egg I heard peeping from. I also noticed the air sac has changed size and shape. It has enlarged. I am so scared I have caused grave harm to this chick, and I sure hope not.

How long will the peeping go on but no piping(no shell cracks to show the hatching process is taking place)? My husband and kids have all firmly agreed that if these chicks can not hatch on there own then they would not be good additions to our flock. We believe in survival of the fittest.

We are really hoping that the hen will do her job and I really think she will because we almost lost her a couple weeks ago because she would not leave the nest to eat or drink so she is now residing in my bedroom in a Veri-kennel.

Any advice is welcome so I can have an educated understanding of this process.

Lisa

From what I have read, this is okay, it should start pipping anytime now. Just put all the eggs under the hen and do not remove her from the nest until all are hatched and the nest needs cleaning. I never bother my hen when she is setting, especially at the point that you hear chirping. I will check under her during the process and clean poop out of the nest but I never take her out. She's the expert, she knows when she needs to get up and let the eggs cool.

You might not want to mess with the eggs for candling after the end of week two anymore, they are very fragile and it could disrupt their process. And really, you don't need to mess with the hen at this point either, a little poop is okay. Look for the April issue of Backyard Poultry, it is a great issue about chicks.

Another great place to read about broody hen care is "The Encyclopedia of Country Living".

Back
Top Bottom