Help! Can't tell if one of 6 buff orpingtons is really an Orpington!

Looks like a pullet. I have one buff in particular that was quite golden in color and now at 7 weeks she's very blonde in color so you may see a change in color. At this age they're changing and growing so much. Beautiful girl you have!

Its a pullet :)

By this time, 7 weeks, you would see more red in her comb and she would start to get wattles under her jaw, red wattles at that. I wouldn't worry about her being a rooster.

This is only my second flock of Buffs (specifically)and none of them look like the pictures on the internet. Some are lighter, some are darker, some are speckled, one has blue feet! it makes it easier to tell them apart :)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I am so excited that he may be a she! I bough a straight run of 6 and all seem to be female! Yay!

Hey everyone!!! Well my "girls" are all about 16 weeks now! So I'm thinking I have two roosters, of course I'm no expert that's why I come to all of you! I think the one dark one is (still have no idea what breed, I was told they were all buffs) and the one buff seems to have a HUGE comb compared to the rest! What do you all think?

They look like females to me. I have 8 buffs right now and 2 of them are roosters they have been crowing since 13 weeks and they are HUGE compared to the ladies. Two of my females have very red combs compared to the other 6 females.

If the two chickens in question are about the same size as the others, not mean to the other birds (or you) and not crowing I would still think they are hens

I agree they are all females as far as I can tell. Just getting close to eggs. :)

Your darker chicken appears to have black tail feathers, which means she's definitely not an orpington. She looks more like a production red, which will still be a very good egg layer for you!

Hey everyone!!! Well my "girls" are all about 16 weeks now! So I'm thinking I have two roosters, of course I'm no expert that's why I come to all of you! I think the one dark one is (still have no idea what breed, I was told they were all buffs) and the one buff seems to have a HUGE comb compared to the rest! What do you all think?

Everyone is female. The darker bird is a hatchery New Hampshire.

Back
Top Bottom