HELP Check My Math!: safeguard aquasol dosage for small flock

buffy-the-eggpile-layer

Crowing
5 Years
May 29, 2019
Hi! I'm dosing my chickens with safeguard aquasol. I bought a small amount via ebay since it's otherwise extremely expensive (it's manufactured for massive farm/factory flocks). Due to its unforgivingly high concentration and my lack of math skills, I'm skeptical of my calculations and worried about OD'ing my flock.

Below are pictures of the directions sent with the small bottle (w/ my calculations) and the official safeguard aquasol label. I did round up slightly. I greatly appreciate anyone willing to riddle out the dosage puzzle and let me know if I'm on the mark.

I'm putting it in what I believe is slightly less than what they'd drink in 24 hours because they fluctuate a bit and I don't want to underdose. I'm hoping this will not cause overdose, though--so please share your experiences dosing water.

20230307_101552.jpg

Screenshot_20230307_101539_Drive.jpg

I'll look at your numbers in a bit, but have some chores to do first. I can say though that it's very difficult to overdose with fenbendazole. My vet said studies have found no ill effects from overdosing up to 100x the normal dose.
I really appreciate it! And thanks for the peace of mind about overdosing. That'll keep me from panicking in the meantime. :bow

I went with .07ml in 1.5 qt, which is what I believe to be slightly less than what they drink in 24 hours. 5 birds averaging 6 lbs each, so calculated for 30 lbs of chickens!

What type of worms are you trying to treat? Since Aquasol is a diluted form of fenbendazole that goes in the water and does not require an egg withdrawal, it is not going to treat some of the worst worms, such as capillary or gapeworm. It will only treat roundworms and cecal worms at that dosage. Dosage I think is 0.045 mg per pound, or 0. 1 mg per per Kg of weight, for 5 consecutive days. @casportpony has already figured some dosages in a few threads she has.

Last edited:
What type of worms are you trying to treat? Since Aquasol is a diluted form of fenbendazole that goes in the water and does not require an egg withdrawal, it is not going to treat some of the worst worms, such as capillary or gapeworm. It will only treat roundworms and cecal worms at that dosage. Dosage I think is 0.045 mg per pound, or 0. 1 mg per per Kg of weight, for 5 consecutive days. @casportpony has already figured some dosages in a few threads she has.
I'm trying for the most common, including roundworms (which is the only ones I've ever had visually confirmed in my flock)--but broad spectrum is best. I can't confirm what they have, but they're overdue for a whole flock deworming (it's been about a year) and I've started noticing undigested plant matter in their poop, which had been a sign they are in need of deworming in the past.

It costs $80 for my vet to do a fecal float, and they never find anything--so I'm hesitant to spend that money. Last time I had my RIR Willow's poop checked (late fall/early winter) and he said it was clear of anything/everything. But she kept shedding intestinal lining. I dewormed with valbazen and her issue cleared up.

Is it possible to finish safeguard treatment then dose with valbazen the following week? Or should I stop altogether and just use valbazen? They've had safeguard aquasol treated water for the morning so far.

I also have Poultry Dewormer 5x (capsules) which each contain 6.7 mg fendbendazole--I can give that for three days in a row and then again in 10 days (instructions say 1 pill per 5-7 lb bird). Would that be better across the board?

The label lists cecal worms, threadworms, and gape worms in addition to roundworms and tapeworms. And users have noted it worked for gapeworms--which I don't think I have, but hopefully that's indication it'd work for threadworms and others.

I like Valbazen, since dosage is 1/2 ml for most average chickens once and again in 10 days. With fenbendazole you have to look at the mg per pound or Kg when treating the more serious worms. Those capsules are new on the market, and I am not sure they will treat the serious worms (capillary or gapeworm.)

I like Valbazen, since dosage is 1/2 ml for most average chickens once and again in 10 days. With fenbendazole you have to look at the mg per pound or Kg when treating the more serious worms. Those capsules are new on the market, and I am not sure they will treat the serious worms (capillary or gapeworm.)
It's been my go-to as well, but I've used it the last several times, so I worry about resistance. People always say to rotate. But if that's not necessary I'll keep up with the Valbazen!

You dont have worry about resistance, it takes years. I've been using Valbazen for years.
Eggcessive is correct. Safeguard and Valbazen are in the same class of drugs.
You'd have to use a different class of drugs if you're super worried about resistance: Levamisole or Ivermectin come to mind and are a different classes. However, good luck finding Levamisole in stock anywhere. I dont use Ivermectin no more due to resistance in certain areas of the U.S.
Poultry mites are showing resistance to Ivermectin as well.
Stick with the Benzimidazoles.

Back
Top Bottom