HELP, CHICK W/BROKEN OR DISLOCATED WING!

Shaunassy

Chirping
Apr 2, 2016
Fl
Hello, today was the first non stormy and cloudy day for almost a week so I let my girls free range since I was home. I left the house for 10mins top to get something from a neighbor and when i got back i interrupted a chick kidnapping in progress. A stray cat was trying to catch my 4 week old chicks from their mother. I interrupted just in time and lucky no one was taken but one chick has either a broken or dislocated wing and I have no clue what to do. I was able to pen them up safely again but unable to catch the injured chick and i dont want to hurt/stress her out more so ill wait until roosting time to examine her. I watched her try to fly/jump on a small roost and she barley made it up there and only used one wing, its like she coulnt move/flap the other one. Here are some pics, any suggestions? All the vets here are closed until monday.

These are the best pics i could get atm
Thanks in advance for any help

Hopefully someone else more experience with wing injuries will weigh in.

Check her over for any wounds, cats can leave punctures.

You can take a wait and see approach and see if she improves in a day or two or you can place the wing in it's "natural" position and wrap the chick in gauze or vet wrap.

Let us know how she's doing.

Thanks for the reply, I wrapped it in gauze and in its natural position so hopefully after a few weeks she will be ok.
I wrapped it up last night and she seems to be fine with her mom and siblings today. She is eating and drinking normal and doesnt seem to mind the wrap.

Thanks for the reply, I wrapped it in gauze and in its natural position so hopefully after a few weeks she will be ok.
I wrapped it up last night and she seems to be fine with her mom and siblings today. She is eating and drinking normal and doesnt seem to mind the wrap.

You did good
smile.png

Hopefully that little sweet BO will recover no problems.

Keep us posted.

Well I just went out to check on her and she somehow removed the bandages. -_- I think i jinxed it saying how good she was doing. Ill try it again and hoepfullyy it will stay on this time

I have the mom and the babies seperated from the flock of 9 hens inside a 16x16 broody pen with a coop that sits inside the main run. But im afraid to seperate the one chick bc the mom wont accept her back prob and reintergrateing as one lone chick could be hard

I have the mom and the babies seperated from the flock of 9 hens inside a 16x16 broody pen with a coop that sits inside the main run. But im afraid to seperate the one chick bc the mom wont accept her back prob and reintergrateing as one lone chick could be hard
Just try to keep a close eye on her then.
She may continue to wriggle out of the bandage (or get a little help from her brooder mates
wink.png
).
Hopefully it is just sprained/injured and not broken and she will heal up in about a week or so.

I dont think its broken because i can move it and I dont feel or hear any issues. She isnt dragging it or anything, its just slightly lower than it should be. she isnt using it though, but when i was bandaging her she moved it a little.

Back
Top Bottom