Help! Chick with sudden swollen inner eye

chicksandgoats

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Byron, Ga
Can anyone give any advice as to what may be going on with my 6 week old chocolate bantam, all of a sudden it has a swollen inner eye corner, mostly in 1 eye. I posted photos of both eyes. No sneezing, coughing, or breathing trouble. Eating and drinking fine. I have isolated it from the other 3 chicks I bought with this one( a silkie, showgirl and an Orpington)- they all seem fine.
These chicks are inside under a heat lamp. I have not introduced them to my 4 outside hens( white rocks all almost 2 years old)

Last edited:
It is probably sinus inflammation and infection from a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza. Other symptoms may develop such as bubbles or foam in the eye, nasal drainage, or cough/sneeze. In rare cases, there could have been a peck to the eye that could have caused this, which is usually evident by a peck wound near the eye. This chick may have come from a place where their was a carrier. This hick and any exposed to it even later will become carriers. I would get it tested for MG, and you can call your state vet for instructions. If people aren't willing to cull for MG, then Tylan can be given to help ease symptoms. Here is a good link to read on the common respiratory infections: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks everyone! She looks better today, still no other symptoms, eye is getting better. The other chicks are all still fine too.
She's been on Baytril.

Back
Top Bottom