Help! Chicken Died and Entire Flock Could Be at Risk

Southernflock

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
I have a small backyard flock. One chicken randomly stayed by itself some yesterday. This morning I went out and it had died. No predators. The coop and run doors were still shut and no holes. We had a funeral for it today. As we were outside I noticed the other girls had bulges on the right front part, in the chest. Not squishy and in the evening. Is this a crop problem? Sour crop? Impacted crop? Infectious disease? Just cleaned the coop recently. No mites. They do free range during the day and go to bed at night. It was rainy yesterday. Any advice? I'm really worried about losing my small flock. They are only 13 months old. My kids are devastated by this loss. :(

The bulge on the right side of the chest is the crop and it'll be full after they've eaten. Check first thing in the morning before they eat; if it's not bulging, your chickens are normal.

As far as the dead hen, there isn't a way to know why with just the information you gave. Sorry.

After chickens eat, the crop bulges on the right side of the chest. It's normal.

Without a lot more information, the cause of this death will remain a mystery. If you had cut open the dead chicken, you might have seen something in the abdominal cavity that could have given you a clue. By burying the body, a lab cannot do a necropsy.

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate it. I hope tomorrow morning they are all ok. I'm just so confused and worried. I've had them over a year and they've all done well until now. :(

Is it possible to retrieve the body, keep it cold, but not frozen overnight, and take it in to your state vet lab for a necropsy first thing in the morning? That is the best way to know what was wrong. Get some granite poultry grit and put a little in a bowl in your run. It will last a long time. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom