Help! Chicken Game of Thrones! Who do I put where?

My chickies' thread has been hijacked! It's ok Penny.

As for my flock, I'm giving up my birthday (the only day of the year that I put myself before my animals) to have the handyman come out on Friday, and we're going to work on making the quarantine house useable so I can put three cockerels in there. They are testing out more and more who they can "have their way with."

Just be aware that that behavior can continue even once those boys are separated, and you will have to pay very close attention to make sure one of them doesn’t get abused too much by the others. It won’t be easy finding a way to get them sorted so no one is being “bullied” too much. And yes they will try and mate each other. It all boils down to personality and space. Also be aware of small gaps that the “bullied” boy may try to protect his head under by ostrich-like burying it to avoid pecking. If they get stuck like that they can easily be killed.

What a group you have!
So you have one cockerel and four pullets, and your cockerel is too rough on at least one of the pullets? Any actual injuries? If yes, I'd move him on now, because IMO it's unacceptable even in an adolescent young rooster.
If no bird is being injured, more space is always better, and hiding places, multiple feeders and waterers, and more to do all help the situation.
You do know that peafowl and chickens are a bad combination, because of their parasite issues? Look up gapeworm, and 'Heterakis' species.
Chickens do hate change, but will grow accustomed to their new coop, given a bit more time.
Mary
Hi Mary,

I have seen your comments on a few posts and find them direct and informative so I hope the OP doesn’t mind me asking you as I have no idea how to post or ask someone directly - at what age can you tell you have a rooster and if they’re going to be aggressive about what age do you see that come out? I have a one day old chick that is the cutest thing ever but having had to part with a very aggressive rooster recently I’d like to have an idea of what may be ahead. The chick is the offspring of the rooster.

Hi Mary,

I have seen your comments on a few posts and find them direct and informative so I hope the OP doesn’t mind me asking you as I have no idea how to post or ask someone directly - at what age can you tell you have a rooster and if they’re going to be aggressive about what age do you see that come out? I have a one day old chick that is the cutest thing ever but having had to part with a very aggressive rooster recently I’d like to have an idea of what may be ahead. The chick is the offspring of the rooster.
@Lisafitz if you would like to message someone directly click on their avatar. A brief description should pop up along with the following options:
Profile page
Start a conversation
Follow
Ignore etc.
Click on "Start a conversation". This will take you to a page where you can list people you want to converse privately with, title the message and enter the message. For the future I hope this helps. Any further questions regarding navigating the site can be answered in the site guides section here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3
You can also always post a question in the troubleshooting forum

My chickies' thread has been hijacked! It's ok Penny.

As for my flock, I'm giving up my birthday (the only day of the year that I put myself before my animals) to have the handyman come out on Friday, and we're going to work on making the quarantine house useable so I can put three cockerels in there. They are testing out more and more who they can "have their way with."
I'm so Sorry! I'm new to this and didn't really know where to ask this question...I've only posted on here a few times and wasn't sure if I could create a new conversation for something similar to your question. I've learned a lot from the folks responding to your situation. I totally understand you not wanting to get rid of your rooster...I love min too and will go to any length to keep him. I hope your problem is solved soon! So I guess its okay to create a new thread for a general question?

@Lisafitz if you would like to message someone directly click on their avatar. A brief description should pop up along with the following options:
Profile page
Start a conversation
Follow
Ignore etc.
Click on "Start a conversation". This will take you to a page where you can list people you want to converse privately with, title the message and enter the message. For the future I hope this helps. Any further questions regarding navigating the site can be answered in the site guides section here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3
You can also always post a question in the troubleshooting forum
Thank you for this info!!! I too didn't know how to do this!

To Lisafitz, based on the birds that I've raised, I would say that my ability to properly estimate the sex of a chick goes something like this:
1 week - 50% (in other words, total guess)
4 weeks - 60%
8 weeks - 75%
12 weeks - 90%
16 weeks - 100%

Lisa, I agree with @Fishychick about guessing the sex of chicks, although again, it depends.
Breeds that I've had are easier to sex, because I've watched them as they grow.
Silkies, I don't have, and they can be very difficult.
Behavior of cockerels: The earliest little beast ever here was attacking me at eight weeks of age! He did not improve, and went bye-bye. The oldest, two years of age, and then decided to be a jerk.
Most cockerels in my experience who start out 'bold and friendly' tend to develop into human aggressive individuals as they mature. I have very little love for them if that happens. I used to try to 'reform' them, and have given that up, as it often fails. They go!
I also am interested in having peace in the flock, and because my coop is meant to function as one, not separate flocks, they do all have to get along. Family groups and rooster social groups are present, but no bird who's out to upset everyone stays.
Mary

Lisa, I agree with @Fishychick about guessing the sex of chicks, although again, it depends.
Breeds that I've had are easier to sex, because I've watched them as they grow.
Silkies, I don't have, and they can be very difficult.
Behavior of cockerels: The earliest little beast ever here was attacking me at eight weeks of age! He did not improve, and went bye-bye. The oldest, two years of age, and then decided to be a jerk.
Most cockerels in my experience who start out 'bold and friendly' tend to develop into human aggressive individuals as they mature. I have very little love for them if that happens. I used to try to 'reform' them, and have given that up, as it often fails. They go!
I also am interested in having peace in the flock, and because my coop is meant to function as one, not separate flocks, they do all have to get along. Family groups and rooster social groups are present, but no bird who's out to upset everyone stays.
Mary
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom