HELP! Chicken Gleet or Egg Bound??

JBrook1941

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte hen who is 21 weeks old. She laid 4 small eggs day after day then skipped a day, then laid a double yolk larger egg. She then skipped a day and went on to lay 3 more small eggs. The last egg she laid was 9/5/23 - so it has been 6 days.

I think something stress related. Over the last 6 days we have displaced her from her original coop as we were getting work done on the yard area and a new coop built for them. The entire week was off for them and it was also 95 degrees every day. We moved the hens in the new coop on Friday, 9/8/23. We were assuming she was stressed due to the move and were awaiting the next egg. Today my wife realized she has a white discharge coming from her vent and she was a bit off acting. it looked like white poop. I did not take pictures before we cleaned her off. Not fully lethargic. but not herself. We put her in the sink with warm water and dawn dish soap, cleaned her up, really gave her end a hot bath, and put her in a towel. About 10 minutes after this bath, she started to pant/sigh/make some type of noise/breathe, then laid a large (about 3 times larger than the eggs she had been laying), soft egg in the towel as my wife was holding her.

We didnt smell stuff like it was gleet. Could it have been poop squirting through because the egg was so soft and it wasn't gleet? A part of me feels like because she literally passed a large soft egg right after being in the warm bath that it may be more egg based than vent gleet.

Is it gleet? Was she egg bound from the heat and stress? Could she have both? What should we be looking for in either case moving forward. She laid and seems a bit better.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Poor girl! Sounds like she's been having a lot of trouble with eggs.
The white discharge was just urates, that's all she could expel with that egg in the way, it's part of the poop. So no vent gleet to worry about.
Since she's having egg laying issues, I would give her calcium citrate +D3 once a day for a couple weeks or so to help her out with eggs. Hopefully soon enough her egg laying troubles will go away.

Sometimes when they first start laying it can take awhile for things to stabilise. I second the suggestion of calcium supplements. Definitely keep an eye on her to make sure she’s okay and repeat the warm epsom bath if you’re worried since that helped.

The moving her around the coops is stressful.
Bathing a chicken can be very stressful too, which is probably why she was panting.

Back
Top Bottom