EasterChickens

Songster
Feb 20, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have a 3 year and 9 month old leghorn hen who has seemingly been going through vent gleet. It all started about 3 days ago when i started seeing a “messy” butt. I pulled her in today and smelled her butt. As a result, her butt smelled like human urine. The color of those messy substances stuck to her are yellow and mixed with poop as well. She has been showing light signs of lethargy but is still eating and pretty active. I did cut away the messy parts of her butt to help it. I don’t think it could be egg bounding but what are your guys thoughts?

Down below are the photos of her physical appearance and “messy” butt. As well as photos of her newly trimmed butt ⬇️⬇️

Sincerely,
Valerie

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpeg
    IMG_2804.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2805.jpeg
    IMG_2805.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2810.jpeg
    IMG_2810.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2811.jpeg
    IMG_2811.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2812.jpeg
    IMG_2812.jpeg
    821.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2813.jpeg
    IMG_2813.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have a 3 year and 9 month old leghorn hen who has seemingly been going through vent gleet. It all started about 3 days ago when i started seeing a “messy” butt. I pulled her in today and smelled her butt. As a result, her butt smelled like human urine. The color of those messy substances stuck to her are yellow and mixed with poop as well. She has been showing light signs of lethargy but is still eating and pretty active. I did cut away the messy parts of her butt to help it. I don’t think it could be egg bounding but what are your guys thoughts?

Down below are the photos of her physical appearance and “messy” butt. As well as photos of her newly trimmed butt ⬇️⬇️

Sincerely,
Valerie
What feed is she on? If it is vent gleet, apple cider vinegar in her water would help

What feed is she on? If it is vent gleet, apple cider vinegar in her water would help
Hello CloneFly, thank you so much for your reply! She currently is on the “Purina Layena Crumbles Chicken Food” as her feed. I just attached a photo of her feed below. However, i do feed her treats on occasion. Would you consider her as having vent gleet? Also, how would i add apple cider vinegar to her water without disturbing the other members of the flock with the adjusted water?

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Hello everyone,

Sincerely,
Valerie
Ive never experienced a vent gleet, but i did deal with an infected foot. what we did was give our chicken a warm bath with epsomsalts and lavender in it. that may help relieve some of the stress and any inflammation.

Back
Top Bottom