Help! Chicken in shock?

Seabright12

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Oklahoma
I just discovered my hen lying in the pen. She appears lethargic with her wings hanging down and her comb and wattles are very pale. She's also panting and her feathers are ruffled and matted. I don't see any wounds. The coop is completely enclosed so there's no way a predator could have harmed her. She's also the alpha hen. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary yesterday or earlier today. All of the other chickens are fine.

I'm giving her some electrolytes. I have no clue what this could be. Any ideas?

Thank you!

I just discovered my hen lying in the pen. She appears lethargic with her wings hanging down and her comb and wattles are very pale. She's also panting and her feathers are ruffled and matted. I don't see any wounds. The coop is completely enclosed so there's no way a predator could have harmed her. She's also the alpha hen. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary yesterday or earlier today. All of the other chickens are fine.

I'm giving her some electrolytes. I have no clue what this could be. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Give us some info-----How Old is she? So yesterday she was doing great?? How does her body weight feel? You see any swelling?

Thanks for your quick response. She just passed away. I have no idea what it could be. It seems that she felt a little underweight. Right before I got her, I noticed the rooster trying to mount her. She was also lying in the part of the coop that gets the most afternoon sun. I'm not sure how many hours she was lying there since I hadn't checked on the chickens since before lunch. I checked to see if she was egg bound and I don't think she was.

Thanks for your quick response. She just passed away. I have no idea what it could be. It seems that she felt a little underweight. Right before I got her, I noticed the rooster trying to mount her. She was also lying in the part of the coop that gets the most afternoon sun. I'm not sure how many hours she was lying there since I hadn't checked on the chickens since before lunch. I checked to see if she was egg bound and I don't think she was.

I am sorry, that goes with raising chickens----one day they are good---next day they are gone.

Back
Top Bottom