Help! Chicken is choking and breaths crackle / bubble

Flamestone

Chirping
Jul 9, 2021
I need help! My white leghorn has been sick and just today started choking and hacking on what sounds like liquid in her throat. When she isn’t coughing/choking her breaths are bubbly and crackle, and she has to continually swallow liquid back down. What is this and how can I help her ASAP?

How does her crop feel, does it empty overnight?

Does she have bubbly eyes or nasal discharge?

How does her breath smell?

When did you last deworm her?

How does her crop feel, does it empty overnight?

Does she have bubbly eyes or nasal discharge?

How does her breath smell?

When did you last deworm her?

Thank you for the reply.
Her crop empties overnight, yes, but feels like she has a lot of rocks on the bottom of it. It was also fluctuating a few days ago, from small to big and back to small without eating anything between.
Her eyes and nose seem fine, no discharge or bubbling. She’s stopped coughing and crackling as of right now thankfully.
Her breath smells fine, and she was dewormed a couple months ago for capillary worms.

No new chickens to the flock but she was recently put back with her old flock for a week until she started showing signs of illness. Around 5 days ago I took her away from her flock and she’s been lethargic / barely eating if at all since. Gave 5 days of antibiotics for what I thought was salpingitis returning.

She has been sick off and on for many months and has had and been treated for aceites and salpingitis

As it seems, you are already taking good care of her.

Did you administer the medication or did she drink it herself in/with her water?

How old is she and when has her water belly last been drained?

10-11days of antibiotics would be needed for a severe salpingitis, depending also on the kind of active ingredient.

Did you take her to an avian vet?

As it seems, you are already taking good care of her.

Did you administer the medication or did she drink it herself in/with her water?

How old is she and when has her water belly last been drained?

10-11days of antibiotics would be needed for a severe salpingitis, depending also on the kind of active ingredient.

Did you take her to an avian vet?
Thank you, I try my best :/ and thank you for your help so far.

She is 3 years old now, and her water belly was drained probably around 4-5 months ago. Since then no fluid has returned to her belly. Her medication I give to her by mouth but is usually thick and easy to swallow, although I did give her straight oil a few days back because of her crop.

Do you think that some liquid went into her lungs or could it be something like gapeworm? She seems to drink whatever comes up. I will also continue antibiotics then, up to 11 days. Thank you for that info.
I could visit a vet on monday but haven’t taken her yet.

did give her straight oil a few days back because of her crop.

Do you think that some liquid went into her lungs
This is one possibility, it could also have been regurgitated because of the bloated/impacted crop as just a little pressure can cause liquid to go the wrong way.
could it be something like gapeworm
What exactly did you use when you last dewormed your flock?
Flubendazole, Ivermectin, Levamizole are among the dewormers that treat gapeworm.
Thank you for the reply.
Her crop empties overnight, yes, but feels like she has a lot of rocks on the bottom of it. It was also fluctuating a few days ago, from small to big and back to small without eating anything between.
Her eyes and nose seem fine, no discharge or bubbling. She’s stopped coughing and crackling as of right now thankfully.
Her breath smells fine, and she was dewormed a couple months ago for capillary worms.

No new chickens to the flock but she was recently put back with her old flock for a week until she started showing signs of illness. Around 5 days ago I took her away from her flock and she’s been lethargic / barely eating if at all since. Gave 5 days of antibiotics for what I thought was salpingitis returning.

She has been sick off and on for many months and has had and been treated for aceites and salpingitis

This is one possibility, it could also have been regurgitated because of the bloated/impacted crop as just a little pressure can cause liquid to go the wrong way.

What exactly did you use when you last dewormed your flock?
Flubendazole, Ivermectin, Levamizole are among the dewormers that treat gapeworm.

Just found the tube. I used Safe-Guard fenbendazole 10%.
It seems like her coughing keeps coming and going, it stopped for a couple hours last night before returning and just returned this morning. It seems like everything that happens to this hen has to be confusing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom