Help, chickens are not laying eggs where I want them to.

terimay

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
My chickens have decided to lay eggs under my porch, so I have to crawl under there to get them, It's kind of a pain in the butt, I have set up several nesting spots for them, but they refuse to use them, I tried the golf ball thing and even leaving a real egg in one of the nests....how do I get my girls to lay eggs where I want them too!!!

When my pullets get to be around egg laying age, I make them stay in the coop/run until 5pm every day. I let them out around 5pm when I come home from work. (I do this for about a month.)

That way, they learn to like laying in the nesting boxes, and it becomes a habit. Now, even when they free range, they will come back to the coop to lay those eggs.

Even though your chickens are laying in the wrong place now, this will still work for you.

Good luck!

Sharon

Yeah, and you may have to block off the access to under your porch or they may sneak in there to lay even after you get them used to the boxes. My Buff Orpingtons are that way... they sneak off sometimes and hide a clutch of eggs in an old shed.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom