Help! Chickens flopping over! (sorry if double posted, don't see it from a minute ago

KirstenColorado

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
My three 7 week old hens have been spending their days outside in a "baby coop"--you know one of those "four chicken kits" and loving it. They get up and down the ladder fine, and love the dirt below.
However, today I let them into their 12' X 12' fenced coop that surrounds the smaller coop and they were having a ball for about 5 minutes, then started flopping over on their sides! Not a dirt bath, either. I showed them the shade areas, the big coop and lots of water, but they kept going out into the sun and before I put them back inside, they all started lying on each other over on their sides. They were very responsive, but this is freaking me out! It's only about 77 degrees out, which is what they're used to inside and out, and have had access to the sun in that "baby coop" before.
What's happening?
TIA
(BTW, pic isn't great one, but two out of the three are on their way back over to the side just before the red one joined them.)

My three 7 week old hens have been spending their days outside in a "baby coop"--you know one of those "four chicken kits" and loving it. They get up and down the ladder fine, and love the dirt below.
However, today I let them into their 12' X 12' fenced coop that surrounds the smaller coop and they were having a ball for about 5 minutes, then started flopping over on their sides! Not a dirt bath, either. I showed them the shade areas, the big coop and lots of water, but they kept going out into the sun and before I put them back inside, they all started lying on each other over on their sides. They were very responsive, but this is freaking me out! It's only about 77 degrees out, which is what they're used to inside and out, and have had access to the sun in that "baby coop" before.
What's happening?
TIA
(BTW, pic isn't great one, but two out of the three are on their way back over to the side just before the red one joined them.)

They're sunbathing.
If no symptoms of illness, don't worry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom