HELP - Chickens scattering feed out of hanging feeder

I love this! I am so tired of my chickens doing the same thing that the orignal post mentioned!

The interior dimensions are 4.5" deep x 5.5" wide. The edge the chickens reach over is 9" high. You can barely see the wire across the top that keeps them out.

That is a sweet idea, thinking about using our original wooden baby chick feeder that has the revolving bar through the middle and is about the same size as yours, and just elevate it a bit. Our problem is more of the chipmunk variety who help themselves when the girls are ranging, and seem to have taken up a strange friendship with them. We have always mixed our food, whole oats, cracked corn (more in winter, but it makes lovely orange yolks) and layer pellets, and always kitchen scraps, veges, fruits, sour milk...you all know the story. Our problem as well is especially winter when they refuse to come out (Maine) and get bored and will just play with their food. Anyone have any ideas for the winter boredom, they have enough space, and we diminish it winter for heat purposes. Otherwise they are fine with playing with food unless they are bored.

They need something to DO to distract them from the feed then- I know some people will freeze extra corn from summer and in the winter hang it from the coop ceiling to give them something to do, I'm sure a quick search will give some other ideas.

Den - Thanks for the pic. Looks simple to make. You're right, though, I can barely see the wire - Is it a section of chicken wire cut to be the length of the trough and width of the side boards?

I'll bet that works well. Thanks!.

We switched to crumble and it ended. Red Barn Farms trough feeder is brilliant though.
If you are mixing corn with their container feed that is probably the root of the problem, they are digging for dessert and throwing the veggies on the floor...

I put their sunflower seeds and cracked corn in plastic liter bottles with a few holes drilled in it. They will spend all day rolling them over to get the seeds to come out.

En Plein Air Farms - THat sounds like something great to keep them busy. What size holes tdo you drill? I suppose just big enough to let a kernel of corn out?

A great idea, we will try that, and yes, how big do you make the holes? Do they ever destroy the plastic, would hate to see them getting pieces of that, but they're probably too busy trying to get the seed out. The hanging corn is a great idea as well. Any others out there, the winters are looooong here.

Back
Top Bottom