Help chickens stay cool in summer

Tweetledee

Chirping
Jan 3, 2023
South Africa
Hi guys

My chickens seem to not be managing with the heat. We are up to 89F today from a nice cool week before and the one hen is acting strange, Im hoping its just the heat. Shes eating and drinking fine, but saw her spread her wings while she walked and was thrusting her tail up and down like shes laying an egg with her mouth open. Lost a hen at the beginning of the month so hope its not another egg bound chicken. She laid an egg yesterday (and is not a daily layer, although on the weekend she laid on sat and sunday.)

My girls have a really nice spot, at least I think so, and they have a lot of shaded areas in their enclosed run plus access to multiple water fountains. They spend most of the day under the roof, Huddled together, in the sand.

I'm not sure what else I can do to keep them cool? Tried wetting an area but not sure chickens like to sit around in wet sand as they dont look too interested? Should I create an area for a water bath? Run the sprinklers? Any other tips would be appreciated as we have a scorcher few days ahead.

My chickens are very active, but they hate heat. one way is to find some loose dirt and sprinkle it on the run. the girls will like it, and they might take a bath in it. Give the girls water, dirt and treats and you'll be ready to rumble!

Not sure what your coop is like and I'm starting to think I'm going to be known as insulation lady, but that's been the trick for me. Literally when I open my coop door in hot weather season, a rush of cool air hit's me and it's due to the massive insulation that I have in my walls. It's 3inch foam core board. I do also do what you've said, wet down the entire area. It dries fast enough that doubt they think it's too wet. In extreme heat I've done a mister but honestly after insulating the coop I don't need the mister anymore. Lot's of buckets of cool water and I have sand for soil so they dig big holes.... Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom