Help choosing a flock to manage..

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have an awesome time with these birds
Thanks.. just need to get them to warm up to us. They were not handled by the previous owner and were labeled as "livestock". They have been a bit skittish but I've been talking to them and dropping a few treats closer and closer to me. We shall see...

Hello all.. hope everyone had a nice holiday!

We are new to chickens and need help on how to decide which breed(s) of chicken to get. Just recently finished our coop/run that has enough space for 6 comfortably. At this time we are only interested in egg production and do not want a rooster. I was planning on skipping the chick raising process and look for young hens.. but would this be a mistake? Is it better if we raise them from chicks so they become accustomed/friendly to us or more easily trained to the surroundings? Are some breeds easier than others to handle? Are there any that are more proficient layers in the winter? Our thought is to get 2 each of 3 different breeds. Does this make sense?

The most popular choices I see out there are Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Australorp. Is this the direction we should go as newbies?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! Thanks....
I have several breeds. If I were to do it over again I would have one and it would be Americauna’s. They are hearty in cold climates, large and prolific egg layers of different colors and they each are uniquely colored. Easy going, super sweet birds to others and people in general.

You mentioned "friendly" Rhode Island Reds are the least friendly breed. Another question I would ask is do you have children? Do you want your children to be able to pick them up and hold them? Some breeds are more flighty or less interested in being held. Some breeds do better being confined than others. Many breeds do not do well confined and will have problems with that if you decide to do that. If you decide your pup is more of a nuisance than a help with the chickens, or you realize loosing chickens to predators is too heartbreaking, you'll want to keep them confined in the run/coop setup that you have. Having a breed that does well being confined will give you that option. I'm partial to Silkies, but they are a breed that cannot be left out in the rain or snow (cannot get wet) so they would have to stay confined. Oops, just saw that you made your selection. Enjoy!

We are new to chickens and need help on how to decide which breed(s) of chicken to get. Just recently finished our coop/run that has enough space for 6 comfortably. At this time we are only interested in egg production and do not want a rooster. I was planning on skipping the chick raising process and look for young hens.. but would this be a mistake? Is it better if we raise them from chicks so they become accustomed/friendly to us or more easily trained to the surroundings? Are some breeds easier than others to handle? Are there any that are more proficient layers in the winter? Our thought is to get 2 each of 3 different breeds. Does this make sense?

The most popular choices I see out there are Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Australorp. Is this the direction we should go as newbies?

Hello. Happy New Year. Welcome to chicken life. I have always gone with Rhode Island Reds for eggs. They are a free range bird. Handle cold weather. I added Buff Orpingtons to my flock this year and love them. Hoping they will sit on the fertilized eggs. Also a tough bird but sweet. I had 2 black australorps and loved them. Bigger bird but sweet. Just remember birds of a feather flock together and breeds rarely get along. The reds will most likely always pick on the others, always. All 3 are great options.

I've had easter eggers also, I call them Americanas. They are a wilder bird and will want to run. Good producers but are secretive about where they lay. Good luck finding their favorite spots.

I am just coming in to my 9th month of having Golden sex-links, which have been easy to take care of. I was able or obtain 3 Rhode island Red chicks by chance. they were a month or two younger than the Goldens. 1 died right away and just last week or so, one other died, for unknown reasons. So we have 9 Goldens and the Rhodie. All hens and all laying through the months of winter so far. Probably because they are less than a year old. The Goldens are a cross breed and seem very hardy for my weather here in S.E. Idaho. So far, so good. I also raise my chickens in a 8 X24 foot run with a coarse sand base. Their big coop is overkilled in the insulation department, as I want the coop to be comfortable year around. I treat my chickens like my pets and they give me an abundance of eggs. What more can you ask for? Also I am retired and spend about 30 minutes a day making sure they have water, food, calcium, and some treats that are higher in protein, for these winter months. Also, the Goldens are a mid size breed, so when the time comes they will become soup chickens. Hope my meanderings help.

So exciting! Through experience I have found that buying young pullets or a few chicks is easier to train and make friendly as you can handle them from young. They also accept one another more easily but have to be the same age when starting.
Ensure they are hens first before buying-harder at a young age. If you hatch your own you’ll get roosters too.
Sussex Australorps and Orpingtons are all relaxed and docile birds. I love those breeds.

I adored my Hamburgs but they are very naughty and a bit of a handful.
Check for aggression levels in breeds generally, online before buying.

Back
Top Bottom