HELP! Clogged nostrils (thick yellowish mucous), swollen yellowish spots under eyes, runny eyes

Radhanuga

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
North Carolina
I already quarantined her, she's a little Easter Egger bantam, probably around 3 months of age.
I noticed her runny nose 3 days ago, she was otherwise fine. She's eating, drinking, but kind of spaced out, not moving as much, she peeps softly, she's all cuddly and sad looking.
Her nostril are clogged with dried up yellow stuff,and under her left eye there's a swollen yellow spot and her eye is wet/runny.

I have Neomycin 325 at home, would that cover those types of symptoms? I cannot take her to the vet at the moment.

Please help!

I have a chick doing something similar to this. Treat as you would for a respiratory illness. You need to keep the eye cleaned out to prevent her from going blind in that eye. I am putting something in my chick's water right now, but I do not know the name for it. Keep her quarantined and follow bio security strictly. Things like this can be very fatal and will spread like wildfire.

I already quarantined her, she's a little Easter Egger bantam, probably around 3 months of age.
I noticed her runny nose 3 days ago, she was otherwise fine. She's eating, drinking, but kind of spaced out, not moving as much, she peeps softly, she's all cuddly and sad looking.
Her nostril are clogged with dried up yellow stuff,and under her left eye there's a swollen yellow spot and her eye is wet/runny.

I have Neomycin 325 at home, would that cover those types of symptoms? I cannot take her to the vet at the moment.

Please help!
Read this page:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

-Kathy

Please help!
Does she have a bad odor around her face that might be associated with coryza? MG and coryza are some of the common respiratory diseases that affect chickens causing facial swelling. MG doesn't smell bad as coryza does. Neomycin is mostly to treat E.coli infection, and while ?E.coli can be a secondary infection of respiratory disease, this may respond better to Tylan 50 injectable given orally or by a shot for 3-5 days. If you suspect coryza from an odor then sulfa drugs such as Sulmet and Sulfadimethoxine would be better to treat symptoms, and you could also use Tylan or oxytetracycline to help prevent secondary infections. Most respiratory diseases make carriers of the flock, so use good biosecurity. Here is a list of common diseases, and MG and coryza are listed with symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Going with all the symptoms and info here, seems like Coryza. She smells really bad around her face/head, rest of the body smells normal.
We'll get stuff today to treat her for that and see how it goes.

So far the rest of the EEs are not showing any symptoms, do I treat them anyway?
These are our backyard flock, the front yard flock was never exposed and never in contact with this particular hen, she never went to the front yard, got from the car to the back. We are being very careful.

Any advice or experience with coryza?

Going with all the symptoms and info here, seems like Coryza. She smells really bad around her face/head, rest of the body smells normal.
We'll get stuff today to treat her for that and see how it goes.

So far the rest of the EEs are not showing any symptoms, do I treat them anyway?
These are our backyard flock, the front yard flock was never exposed and never in contact with this particular hen, she never went to the front yard, got from the car to the back. We are being very careful.

Any advice or experience with coryza?

Yep, fowl odor around the head area...coryza. I recommend that you immediately cull her or it will spread to your other birds. Disinfect everything that was in contact with the sick bird. Practice strict biosecurity; change your clothes, shoes and practice hygiene before contact with healthy birds. You're going to have to closely monitor your backyard flock for symptoms, cull as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom