Help! Color Confusion

tiktilaok

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
Hello guys! I need your opinions/expertise on the COLORS of these 2 roosters. Attached below are their photos. Please shed some light on this matter. Your inputs would definitely be of great help... Thanks in advance! šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_114140.jpg
    IMG_20210419_114140.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210419_114210.jpg
    IMG_20210419_114210.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210419_114243.jpg
    IMG_20210419_114243.jpg
    890.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210419_114343.jpg
    IMG_20210419_114343.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 8
Looks like theyā€™re blue tailed buff barred. Not pure for the barring gene, though, as they only have one copy of the gene (pure barred roosters would have two).

Looks like theyā€™re blue tailed buff barred. Not pure for the barring gene, though, as they only have one copy of the gene (pure barred roosters would have two).
Im just really clueless---how could one say that a chicken is not pure for the barring gene, and if a chicken has one or two copies of the gene? I have read several articles and forums but it still confuses me.

Im just really clueless---how could one say that a chicken is not pure for the barring gene, and if a chicken has one or two copies of the gene? I have read several articles and forums but it still confuses me.
It depends on how wide the white bars on their feathers are. Basically, a single factor (one copy) barred rooster is darker, while a double factor (two copies) rooster is lighter. Hens can only have one copy of the barring gene, so if a hen is barred you know sheā€™s pure for it.

Single factor black barred rooster (with some red leakage) [not my picture].
464E4B91-33EA-4EE4-B2F1-6825389341E9.jpeg

Double factor black barred rooster.
6CE1FAB5-2130-497A-8DDF-4D9A36115860.jpeg

Barring on buff/red is a bit harder to determine. Actually, looking back at your pictures, rooster #2 could be pure for barring (meaning he has two copies of the gene).

Last edited:
Final
It depends on how wide the white bars on their feathers are. Basically, a single factor (one copy) barred rooster is darker, while a double factor (two copies) rooster is lighter. Hens can only have one copy of the barring gene, so if a hen is barred you know sheā€™s pure for it.

Single factor black barred rooster (with some red leakage) [not my picture].
View attachment 2624285

Double factor black barred rooster.View attachment 2624289

Barring on buff/red is a bit harder to determine. Actually, looking back at your pictures, rooster #2 could be pure for barring (meaning he has two copies of the gene).
Finally! Now, things have never been clearer.... All thanks to you!!! šŸ˜Š
One last question, if i may...... What color classification could these 2 roosters be under? Crele? Cuckoo?

I am also thinking of breeding them to buff orpingtons hens. Will i get barred chicks as well?!

Final

Finally! Now, things have never been clearer.... All thanks to you!!! šŸ˜Š
One last question, if i may...... What color classification could these 2 roosters be under? Crele? Cuckoo?
Are they purebred? If so, what breed are they? (Iā€™m assuming Orpingtons?)

Iā€™m asking because different breeds have different names for the same variety/color. Blue tailed buff barred or barred blue tailed buff would be the correct name no matter breed, since itā€™s genetically accurate. However, thereā€™s probably a shorter name depending on what breed they belong to.

To explain barred blue tailed buff.
This is black tailed buff (not my picture).
1A2C8D57-EACB-4945-B2C5-B568C1F40319.jpeg

Your roosters have a blue tail instead of a black one, making them blue tailed buffs. They also have a barring gene, which is why ā€œbarredā€ is added on, making barred blue tailed buff.
I am also thinking of breeding them to buff orpingtons hens. Will i get barred chicks as well?!
You will get barred chicks. If you use a single factor barred rooster, he will produce 50% barred chicks (with the males being single factor) and 50% unbarred chicks. If you use a double factor rooster, all chicks will be barred, though the male chicks will still be single factor barred.

Back
Top Bottom