Help! Complicated Story...

bernadettelopez

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2015
Lake Cowichan, BC
Where to start!? Long story short, my muscovies laid a batch of eggs and a muscovy and a chicken were sitting on them. About a week and a half or so the chicken got kicked off and I'm assuming snuck in 2 of her eggs on the batch after. Momma muscovy and eggs are fine. I didn't realize that the bantam chicken snuck her eggs on the batch after she got kicked off(I thought she laid them at the same time as the duck eggs but I'm obviously wrong) and I thought the chick hatch date was going to be 2 weeks ago so I put the chicken egg in a home made incubator with the temp and humidity set for lock down. It has now been about 10-13 days. I wasn't turning the egg because of not knowing the egg was later laid than I thought. It is alive but I haven't noticed much of any growth over the past 5 days and I have no idea what is going on. I will not give up hope but I have no idea if anything there is I can do but just wait. Any suggestions? There is no signs of hatching yet that I can tell. I can try to take pictures of a candling if that may help. This is my first time with hatching so any possible info on what's going on will be very much appreciated.

I am just worried that if the chick hatches before the ducklings the other eggs will get abandoned or The other way around. The duck eggs should hatch any day now. I will post a pic of the chick egg soon.

Where to start!? Long story short, my muscovies laid a batch of eggs and a muscovy and a chicken were sitting on them. About a week and a half or so the chicken got kicked off and I'm assuming snuck in 2 of her eggs on the batch after. Momma muscovy and eggs are fine. I didn't realize that the bantam chicken snuck her eggs on the batch after she got kicked off(I thought she laid them at the same time as the duck eggs but I'm obviously wrong) and I thought the chick hatch date was going to be 2 weeks ago so I put the chicken egg in a home made incubator with the temp and humidity set for lock down. It has now been about 10-13 days. I wasn't turning the egg because of not knowing the egg was later laid than I thought. It is alive but I haven't noticed much of any growth over the past 5 days and I have no idea what is going on. I will not give up hope but I have no idea if anything there is I can do but just wait. Any suggestions? There is no signs of hatching yet that I can tell. I can try to take pictures of a candling if that may help. This is my first time with hatching so any possible info on what's going on will be very much appreciated.

Hi, how is your chick? i just saw this post of yours and i am wondering what ever happened to your chick? did she make it? I hope so, but if not, dont beat yourself up. we are all learning and practicing and so does mother nature... so be kind to yourself.
Oops, I was thinking this post of yours was 1month old. you just posted it today.
so, did you candle the chick egg? how far along does it look?

Last edited:
Hi, how is your chick? i just saw this post of yours and i am wondering what ever happened to your chick? did she make it? I hope so, but if not, dont beat yourself up. we are all learning and practicing and so does mother nature... so be kind to yourself.
Oops, I was thinking this post of yours was 1month old. you just posted it today.
so, did you candle the chick egg? how far along does it look?

Little chick is alive. I must say I am very proud of the makeshift incubator I made from a glass fish bowl! It keeps humidity and temp perfect and contains it with minimal fiddling. Ducklings will be any day now but I am having a hard time knowing where the chick egg is in development. I posted a picture above. All I know so far is I did a great job for my first time under the complicated circumstances. If it survives it will be a very spoiled little one.

I also just checked on the muscovy eggs under mom. Unfortunately 7 were duds out of 15. I'm glad I checked because a couple were about to explode. That would have been a disaster.

It seems within the last 5 or so hours after I took the picture of the chick, it did a big shift in the egg(it had been in the same position for about a week and a half). I am guessing this means that it is getting into position to hatch? This is my first time hatching eggs so I am hoping I am correct! I think it's time to leave it be and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom