HELP Cornish month old is very inactive

The problem is that these chicks are likely already too heavy to be able to run away from bullies. In fact, the way chickens roll is to notice any chickens that are inactive and then peck and pluck them.

The cause of this is the Cornish breed grows faster than their legs do. Their legs cannot support their bodies. But any chicken that becomes lame, sick, or even very timid, will be attacked like this. When you notice that happening, you need to act fast before serious injuries occur and separate them.

People keeping Cornish find they often need to cut back on the amount of feed they feed them so they don't grow so fast. Try feeding these two chicks half what you've been feeding. Perhaps their legs will catch up if they slow down their weight gain.

I have a month old Cornish chick, these last few days he has been very inactive always sleeping and would barely move to eat or drink. I haven’t seen if he has pooped yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Yes one more Cornish chick also looks like that except she isn’t red like the one in the photo. She is more active.
Welcome To BYC

Photos of the chick's face/eyes and poop?
What are you feeding?

I agree, it looks like there's feather picking going on which may account for some lethargy.

I would be concerned that Coccidiosis may be part of the problem as well. So photos of the poop may be helpful.

Sadly, Cornish Cross don't have a long lifespan since they are bred to eat a lot and gain quickly. They can have leg problems and organ failure as well.

At this rate, he may not make it to a processing age of 6-10 weeks.

He’s the one on the right
IMG_2007.jpeg

Those are Cornish Cross, not Cornish. Cornish Cross is a hybrid bred specifically for meat production-so specifically that they can barely walk as they grow older, are extremely susceptible to heart failure and other health issues. They need butchering at six weeks old.

Update: Today he woke up more active, he is now eating and drinking water on his own. He is walking more. I appreciate everyone’s support and warm welcome to this community!
That's promising!

Hopefully he'll improve with being moved from the others, he may have just been bullied badly.

If possible, keep him and his friend together, but provide them a bit more space when he gets stronger.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom