Help crows stalking my chickens they wont go away

Crows will harass hawks and mockingbirds will harass crows. There is a crows nest within site high up on an old dead oak tree. I routinely see the 2 crows crackling and dive bombing a red tail hawk that gets too close to it. Fine with me. On the other hand when the crows come near my yard, the mockingbirds will nip at the crows and run them off back to their nest. Again fine with me.

I love my crows. I have a big murder of them that live in the woods around my house. I will "caw caw" back to them and say "Hey Crowsey's" when they hang out in my woods. Today, I heard a ruckus- the crows were loudly fussing. I was busy, so at first I did not pay attention. The noise got worse and suddenly I remembered my 10 week old chickens were in the "open pen" Knowing that the crows were warning me, I headed to the pen and looked up when I heard the hawk squalling and saw it fly over. The crows were in a pack chasing it off. The hens and the 10 week olds had all run to the enclosed pen and were huddled in a corner. I am pretty sure that the crows are my friends.

I got Black Australorp chicks this spring when I learned here on BYC that crows will chase hawks away. My BA are coming up to about 16 weeks old now and they do look like a nice murder of crows. I sure hope the hawks think so and stay away! :gig

Get a BB gun or pellet rifle. A good one!
No. All bird species native to North America are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. It is illegal to kill them. If someone is having legitimate predation issues with crows (unlikely--OP is probably confused about what is a raven and what is a crow) then they need to contact the local wildlife authorities.

No. All bird species native to North America are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. It is illegal to kill them. If someone is having legitimate predation issues with crows (unlikely--OP is probably confused about what is a raven and what is a crow) then they need to contact the local wildlife authorities.
There’s actually a season on crows in MS. Nov 2 through Feb 28 with no limit. So, it can’t be illegal to kill them. Do I crow hunt, no. But they are considered a nuisance that can be controlled.

There’s actually a season on crows in MS. Nov 2 through Feb 28 with no limit. So, it can’t be illegal to kill them. Do I crow hunt, no. But they are considered a nuisance that can be controlled.
Looks like you are correct! The Federal Government does allow for a hunting season for crows--it looks like it is the only non-game migratory songbird with a season. But you still just can't go out and shoot them. There are regulations, dates, licenses, etc. that need to be respected.

It might seem like a bunch of unnecessary bureaucracy and government overreach for a lot of nuisance animals. But unfortunately, history has taught us that humans aren't very good at balancing the good of ecosystems with our own living preferences.

In any case, the OP is likely mistaken about the birds in question being crows. Since they are "huge" in size, I think they are probably ravens, which will prey on chickens in the absence of other food sources.

https://www.outdoornews.com/2015/03...by-hunters-as-a-game-species-in-pennsylvania/

I had a pair of Ravens kill 2 of my full size hens and a bantam rooster. I have 3 full size roosters that couldnt protect them. I watch them everyday fly past and size up my flock looking for an opportunity. Luckily I've had 3 pairs of swallows move in and they attack the ravens relentlessly. Never would I have ever thought that would happen.. but it did.

Back
Top Bottom