Help! Day 21 and NOTHING

Bamteaching

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2023
I am a teacher hatching for the first time with 12 eggs. 3 did not look viable after 7 days when we candled. At 14 days the other 9 seemed ok but since we were in a classroom during the day it was hard to see much when we candled except for a dark shadow that was growing. Day 18 fell on Memorial Day weekend and we had been advised to seal it as soon as we got in on. Tuesday. When I came in I saw the the temp had fallen (not sure why) to 98.7 and raised the heat and added water. I candled before I sealed and some seemed to have stopped growth after 14 days and others seemed bigger but I did not see much movement (or at least I couldn’t tell). Day 21 and no sound, no movement and no pipping. Is it a lost cause? I played chick sounds and shined a light but NOTHING. I am so scared to tell my students. We are coming up on another weekend and I will have to take it home with me…help! Should I worry? Is it going to be ok? Please any advice would help…should I go buy baby chicks and do a swap?

I am a teacher hatching for the first time with 12 eggs. 3 did not look viable after 7 days when we candled. At 14 days the other 9 seemed ok but since we were in a classroom during the day it was hard to see much when we candled except for a dark shadow that was growing. Day 18 fell on Memorial Day weekend and we had been advised to seal it as soon as we got in on. Tuesday. When I came in I saw the the temp had fallen (not sure why) to 98.7 and raised the heat and added water. I candled before I sealed and some seemed to have stopped growth after 14 days and others seemed bigger but I did not see much movement (or at least I couldn’t tell). Day 21 and no sound, no movement and no pipping. Is it a lost cause? I played chick sounds and shined a light but NOTHING. I am so scared to tell my students. We are coming up on another weekend and I will have to take it home with me…help! Should I worry? Is it going to be ok? Please any advice would help…should I go buy baby chicks and do a swap?
I'm in the same boat as you currently.. don't want my students to be devastated....

Just give them more time. Is the incubator cheap? I've had quail eggs hatch a week after they were meant to because of a bad incubator.

It didn’t seem cheap! 😂 it’s a Hova? But the hydration dropped suddenly yesterday because they have been locked down for so long so I did a quick refill of water…. hopefully this did not seal the deal so to speak 🤦🏻‍♀️

I'm in the same boat as you currently.. don't want my students to be devastated....
So I am going today to buy some chicks…not many just a few. Basically the equivalent of replacing the goldfish before the kids notice it went belly up! That way they see that not all make it and understand reality but I also don’t crush any hearts completely. The teachers are really the ones I am worried about 😂, many are VERY invested!

So I am going today to buy some chicks…not many just a few. Basically the equivalent of replacing the goldfish before the kids notice it went belly up! That way they see that not all make it and understand reality but I also don’t crush any hearts completely. The teachers are really the ones I am worried about 😂, many are VERY invested!
Did you bring the bator home over the weekend with you? What age are your students. Were you able to get a reading on the humidity? (Since you mention refilling water).

Did you bring the bator home over the weekend with you? What age are your students. Were you able to get a reading on the humidity? (Since you mention refilling water).
I did end up bringing it home, scariest ride of my life! So nervous I was going to make omelettes! Once home I steamed up the bathroom and added the water and also candled. I had 3 that still look good but still nothing today. My students are middle school but the ENTIRE school has come by for lessons on the eggs which is pre-k to 8th so we have a lot of kids invested. I bought a secondary thermometer online with a humidity meter because the built-in thermometer and an additional regular thermometer I put in were always different. Also, my temperature is constantly changing within my incubator, so I’m starting to believe maybe something is wrong with the incubator… Unless that’s normal.

I did end up bringing it home, scariest ride of my life! So nervous I was going to make omelettes! Once home I steamed up the bathroom and added the water and also candled. I had 3 that still look good but still nothing today. My students are middle school but the ENTIRE school has come by for lessons on the eggs which is pre-k to 8th so we have a lot of kids invested. I bought a secondary thermometer online with a humidity meter because the built-in thermometer and an additional regular thermometer I put in were always different. Also, my temperature is constantly changing within my incubator, so I’m starting to believe maybe something is wrong with the incubator… Unless that’s normal.
Ugh. I’m sorry. It should stay fairly consistent. I’m concerned about the humidity levels because too high humidity is not good either. I’m hoping your babies pull through. It’s so hard when they don’t.

Back
Top Bottom