Help! Day 31 Single Muscovy Pipped Internally

jofanx

Songster
5 Years
Oct 30, 2015
One of my 4 (viable) muscovy eggs pipped internally today (day 31--I went back to doublecheck my calendar because I thought it was too soon) but the other 3 are not near that phase yet--there's still albumen visible in their eggs when I candle. I was going to lockdown tomorrow but now I don't know whether or not I should do it today. Any tips?

Also, the general humidity where I am is 40-60% on any given day (I live near the ocean) and if I add water to the bator, it brings it up to 90+% (I have 2 separate hydrometers) which seems a bit high, so I've been making sure it stays around 50-60%. How high should the humidity be during hatch?

At 4 days from hatch, I don't think you are going to hurt the others by accommodating for the one. Ducks are a little different than chickens as far as humidity goes. Google says 86%, then 94%.
It's funny that one egg is that far ahead of the others, where did you get them?

You can start lockdown now. It shouldn't make a difference.

For lockdown, I like humidity to be around 65%. So if you add just a little bit of water, you should be fine. You don't want it to get higher than 75%! If it does get higher, remove the vent plug and try to get some water out. If condensation gathers on the lid or sides, wipe it off with a rag. Too high humidity can drown them.

Hope your hatch goes well! Please update and post pics when they hatch! ;)

Thanks everyone! I will definitely update and post pictures when (if) they come out. It's my first time hatching eggs. 75% is very easy for me to maintain where I am so that's not a problem! I'm going to lock them down as per everyone's recommendation.

Day 31 is crazy early in terms of this too, but I just got home, checked on the other eggs, and another one just drew down the air cell (I've been gone only 5 hours!) So I don't know if it's just this batch...

They're eggs from my own muscovies. I just thought I'd try my hand at it since I had an incubator on hand.

Fingers crossed!

I'm just paranoid. I stopped myself from checking them after I locked them down but this suspense is killing me.

I managed to get a picture of the internal pip before I just went hands off and decided to completely ignore them for the rest of the time--I could never get the beak when it's at the maximum poking into the air cell so I gave up.

I can easily see the hydrometer/thermometer and it's holding steady at 60%-70% (fluctuates through a day a bit but always around there.)

Argh. All this paranoia. I would hate for something to happen this close to hatch. At what point would you consider helping?

IMG_9979.JPG

HELP IT EXTERNALLY PIPPED, BUT NOT IN THE AIR CELL. It pipped slightly underneath the line of the air cell. Is that still okay?!?!?

Also, none of the other eggs are showing any signs of movement, even the one that had drawn it's air cell down. Think they're duds? It's day 33 right now.

Back
Top Bottom