Help! Day old Chick about to die?!

Sienatiger

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
With the girls!
Hi,
I got chicks in the mail yesterday from my pet chicken. This morning, I noticed that one of the silkie chicks was laying on its side as though it were dead. Its breathing is very slow. I have kept an eye on it all day. I noticed that its stool is very watery and it is not drinking or eating. Could this be coccidiosis? If so, how do I help her? If not, what else could it be?

It's not coccidiosis, but weakness and stress from shipping. Pick it up and try to get it to drink some water with electrolytes or pedialyte by dipping it's beak for a second, then letting it swallow, over and over. Keep it warm. So many chicks are lost this way from shipping stress.

It's not coccidiosis, but weakness and stress from shipping. Pick it up and try to get it to drink some water with electrolytes or pedialyte by dipping it's beak for a second, then letting it swallow, over and over. Keep it warm. So many chicks are lost this way from shipping stress.

I agree, She/he is stressed out from shipping.

Update: The chick unfortunately just passed away. Another one seems to be expressing the same symptoms. I think it might be something more advanced than stress. When she died, she kept straining her head back and spreading her legs out. When she was living, she would be unbalanced while she walked. Any idea what this could be?

So sorry for your loss!!!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom