HELP! Day Old Duckling Walking With Feet Behind Him

Waterfowllady

Songster
5 Years
Nov 3, 2018
California
I've hatched out around a dozen Cayuga ducks today and yesterday and one has bent toes, so I put little cardboard squares and taped his feet to it. The issue is, he also walks with his feet behind him and he can't walk. His legs are straight out behind him, almost like splayed legs bit vertical not horizontal positioning looking from the head on.
Duckling is a day old.
IMG_6789.jpeg
IMG_6787.jpeg
IMG_6786.jpeg

He/She will drop his head when put on a table like shown in the pictures too

Last edited:
I've hatched out around a dozen Cayuga ducks today and yesterday and one has bent toes, so I put little cardboard squares and taped his feet to it. The issue is, he also walks with his feet behind him and he can't walk. His legs are straight out behind him, almost like splayed legs bit vertical not horizontal positioning looking from the head on.
Duckling is a day old.View attachment 2632717View attachment 2632718View attachment 2632719

He/She will drop his head when put on a table like shown in the pictures too
UPDATE: I taped his/her feet to body overnight and left him in a dry incubator with the rest of my drying ducklings. He was holding his feet and legs correctly and not behind him today but couldn't walk correctly in the brooder because of his cardboard feet so I made him a mini brooder to take food and water breaks in and I've kept him with me all day to make sure he wasn't holding his legs incorrectly. Also had him swim to strengthen his legs. He seems to be recovering and I am now very attached to this duckling haha

It seems like you are doing a really great job with him. I think that if he has made progress already he will probably pull through and be a nice healthy duck when he’s older! Swimming seems like a really good idea. Hopefully he can walk properly soon and he can get back with his buddies soon!!!

Also, have you given the cutie a name? 😁
I hope so too! I'm very excited about their progress and hope they are eventually fully functional. No name yet! Sexed them just now and I believe they are a girl!! Not betting my life on the fact that she is a she but I saw no worm, lol.. She has the cutest little face with the yellow dot next to her eye and is just adorable, so she's gotta have a cute name. Any ideas?

It seems like you are doing a really great job with him. I think that if he has made progress already he will probably pull through and be a nice healthy duck when he’s older! Swimming seems like a really good idea. Hopefully he can walk properly soon and he can get back with his buddies soon!!!
I'll be giving her more swim therapy when her shoes are off. Any idea when that should be? I was thinking tomorrow or another 2 days. I've put shoes on ducklings before but she has the worst bent toes that I've seen on a duckling thus far so Im not sure about the duration

If it were me I would probably keep her shoes on on for 1 more day, I would take them off and then reapply if they were not fixed.

You could call her something like Luna or Midnight because she is black. So creative I know 😜😜😂😂😂 !!

Back
Top Bottom