HELP - dead chicks??

I’ve read that chicks need 90-95 for the first week of life - how cool is too cool for the cool end? I’m reading mixed info online…70 for the cool end seems most common? That seems really cool for new hatchlings?
Room temperature max. When they're raised by mother hens, hatchlings will go explore out in much lower temperatures and return to mom to warm up.

I’ve read that chicks need 90-95 for the first week of life - how cool is too cool for the cool end? I’m reading mixed info online…70 for the cool end seems most common? That seems really cool for new hatchlings?

As long as the warm place is warm enough, there is no such thing as "too cool" for the cool end.

70 degrees is a common temperature for the cool side, because of people raising chicks inside their houses. The cool part of the brooder will not be cooler than the temperature of the house (often 70 degrees.)

Much cooler temperatures are also acceptable. Even day-old chicks are fine BRIEFLY at temperatures down to freezing (yes, literally the temperature where water turns to ice), as long as they can quickly get back to the warm spot when they want to. This forum has plenty of stories of broody hens raising chicks in below-freezing weather. The hen herself is the warm place (over 100 degrees Fahrenheit), and the chicks run around to eat and drink and play, then go back under her to warm up. They typically do just fine that way.

If you said they were snuggled up sounds like they are to cold and chicks peeping is a cold chick aswell
I was definitely worried about this, so I made sure I checked the temp several times. It stayed between 94-95 on the hot end, and they slept almost in the middle of the brooder (by the wall).

There are responses saying it might have been too hot! 😖😵‍💫 I hadn’t considered it being too hot, I was worried about it being too cold. Switched set ups a little this morning for a broader range of temps

I hadn’t considered it being too hot, I was worried about it being too cold. Switched set ups a little this morning for a broader range of temps
A broad range of temperatures is a good idea. Chicks are quite good at moving around to find the spot that is just right for them, and different chicks may want slightly different temperatures.

Having a large cool area is also helpful for weaning the chicks off the heat as they get older: they will naturally spend more and more time in the cool area, without the stress of you trying to force cooler temperatures (stressful for you and sometimes stressful for the chicks as well.)

They all fell asleep in a pile last night - but they were in the middle of the brooder (against the wall), so I assumed they’d move to the hot end if they were cold? The temp at the cool end read 93, so I can’t imagine they were too cold?
Yes, they like to sleep in a pile no matter what the temperature. The pile is usually in the place with the right temperature, so middle of the box is good.

If the pile is right under the lamp, in the hottest place, that would be a sign that they need more heat. If the pile is at the far end of the brooder, as far from the heat as possible, that means they need access to cooler temperatures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom