Help! Dewey is limping!

amanda_rimo

Songster
Jun 21, 2023
Hi eveyone!
So this morning we brought Dewey out of her coop and she was walking completely fine. We came down and had breakfast and hung out in the yard for a while. All of a sudden we noticed she is limping. Seems to barely be putting weight on her right foot. I’m not sure if there is something we can do to help her. We don’t see any cuts or bruises on her foot as all. If anyone has any tips on how to help her. Or anything we can do. We would appreciate it very much.

Can you get video of her?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

How old is she?

If she's limiting activity but is able to get to food/water, then I'd consider leaving her with the flock. If she's moving about a lot, then caging her or restricting her activity for a few days may be helpful.

Hard to know if she's suffered injury/sprain or if it's something more serious.

Can you get video of her?
Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

How old is she?

If she's limiting activity but is able to get to food/water, then I'd consider leaving her with the flock. If she's moving about a lot, then caging her or restricting her activity for a few days may be helpful.

Hard to know if she's suffered injury/sprain or if it's something more serious.
She is the only one right now as the other duck passed away due to health issues, but we have 2 new ducklings, but they are only a week old, so they won’t go out till they get their feathers. We spend a lot of time with her right now until her new friends are able to be with her. She is about 4 months old, pekin. She is limiting activity, laying down, but still able to get on her food and water, so we are gonna keep her in her run and limit her activity for a couple days but still visit and sit with her at her run.

She is about 4 months old, pekin. She is limiting activity, laying down, but still able to get on her food and water, so we are gonna keep her in her run and limit her activity for a couple days but still visit and sit with her at her run.
@Jenbirdee @Miss Lydia since she's a Pekin and limping, would she perhaps need more Niacin?

I'd start her on Liquid B Complex just in case since Pekins usually show up with more leg troubles. Sure can't hurt and it will help even with a injury like a sprain. Many give their Pekins niacin in some form all their lives. Rest, water therapy, and b complex and see how she is in 2-3 days.

b complex is great and can even help her feel better if it's not a deficiency but a sprain, since she was walking fine in the morning, and then suddenly started to limp it seems more like a twist or a sprain.
i use nutritional yeast instead of brewers yeast. Personally, I think it's better.
the B complex liquid is a great boost in times of stress or weakness too

I use Nutritional yeast too. I agree it's better than Brewer's yeast. But once one is limping the B complex works much better.
Which nutritional yeast do you use? We did use nutritional yeast first, but thought we should switch to the brewers yeast. My girlfriend just got Dewey out for the morning and said she’s not putting any pressure on her foot. So she gave her liquid b complex on a small amount of breakfast blend and she’s gonna try to get her to do some swim therapy today. I really appreciate all this advice as we are new to ducky moms 😃

Back
Top Bottom