Help!!! Do I need to assist?

cajun chicken

Songster
Apr 6, 2015
Central City, LA
Maybe I'm just freaking out for no reason. Today is day 20 and I've already had 3 hatch since yesterday. My question is - one of the eggs that pipped yesterday afternoon has made a large hole overnight and (about a quarter size ) and stopped. The chick is moving a little bit no chirping. The other two were out when we woke up this morning but this one has been like this all day, no change. I read the assistance thread and it says they should unzip in 24 hours so we are almost there. Should I help? Thanks!!

In my experience, many hatch without assistance. Some die without assistance. But I have more assisted chicks that either die because they were not ready or right or need to be culled after assisting.

In the end it is a personal decision, but I've found that if the membrane is white, if the poult or chick is breathing, and if the humidity is good, leaving things alone is usually the better solution. If you hear distress cheeps, an incessant peep-peep-peep, then assistance may be needed.

Walnut hill - thanks for your input. I ended up helping her out of the egg. The membrane had dried enough to where it was stuck to her back. I don't think she would've made it without assistance but who knows?

Walnut hill - thanks for your input. I ended up helping her out of the egg. The membrane had dried enough to where it was stuck to her back. I don't think she would've made it without assistance but who knows?
I would have done the same thing.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom