Help do not know what to do

bellafina2003

In the Brooder
May 20, 2016
My 1 year old duck has been in the water for 3 days then finally i was able to catch it and i find out it can not walk at all it uses its wings and i do not know what is wrong with the leg any advice?

I had an eggbound chicken (not duck) last night, for the first time ever. We are also duck owners, but they are not old enough to lay.

My husband and I ran a warm bath, and put epson salt and lavender in the water to help it relax. However, with a duck, I'm not sure I'd do lavender unless you can keep it from drinking the water. My husband felt her abdomen gentley, and felt that there was indeed an egg there. He put on a rubber glove, lubricated the glove in vaseline, and inserted his finger into her vent. He did not feel anything which told us that we were probably in the early stages of her being eggbound. I ran to the store and grabbed some calcium gel tabets. When I came home, we cut them open and syringed the liquid to her. It was 1,200mg but we were desperate and not all of it got in her. Then we inserted some preperation h in her vent, to reduce the swelling so there was room for the egg to come out. Then, we put her in a dark room by herself until she passed the egg.

The dark tells the "egg maker" to stop making new eggs. So, if you can, leave your duck in a dog crate or something in a dark room instead of letting her stay in the light.

I wouldn't feed her too much food because all of that food and water has to come out the same hole that the egg comes out. Is she still able to poop? It seems like that's when this gets really life threatening.

Yes

I would giver her at least 80 mg calcium daily - is she laying?

I am beginning to wonder if you are reluctant to treat her. Her symptoms sound serious and possibly indicate something life-threatening is going on. Is she walking? If not, that is a big deal.

I don't want to upset you, I want to urge you to help her.

Last edited:
My 1 year old duck has been in the water for 3 days then finally i was able to catch it and i find out it can not walk at all it uses its wings and i do not know what is wrong with the leg any advice?

Male or female? If female, could be eggbound.

Could be a spinal injury, or infection.

Can you get the duck to a vet?

Can it move the legs? Any sign of swelling? Is the leg or are the legs very warm? What breed, and how much does it weigh?

@casportpony

@Orca5094

@bellafina2003

Last edited:
Its a female yes it can move its legs but when she tries to walk she cant get her legs to walk with its wings and she will fall on the side or just fall i think its a pekin duck I do not know her weight and there not vet that we can take her to.

@Amiga

Last edited:
Get her into a tub of lukewarm water so she can float - keep an eye on her while she is in the tub.

Give her some extra calcium - I crush calcium citrate tablets and put them in food or treats. I'd go with 250 mg at first, then maybe 100 mg twice a day for a few days.

Be careful handling her - you don't want to crush an egg inside her, if that's the case.

If it's egg yolk peritonitis, she'll need some serious antibiotics to give her a fighting chance.

@Amiga

Do you think that maybe thats why she can not walk?

Another thing she is started to have her mouth open for no reason.

Does calcium have any cons cause what if she does not have that disease and i give it to her would it kill her?

Last edited:
I think that a boost of calcium for a day or two won't do harm. I am not a vet, though, so please don't do anything you feel not right about. I know I have given my ducks boosts of at least 100 mg from time to time, but they were not egg bound - a very serious condition.

There is such a thing as too much calcium, but I don't know what the limit is.

Yes, I think that is one possibility as to why she cannot walk.

Mouth open may be expressing pain or stress.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom