HELP! Dog bit chickens neck, now it's all green and infected!

amour.chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Colorado Springs
About two days ago our 4 month old Tibetan Terrier puppy got into the chicken yard and bit one of my 6 month old White Leg Horn chickens. My uncle went out there and got the dog out and I went to check on my chicken. It was bit on the right side of her neck. It didn't look that bad, it was just bleeding a little. So I put her down and she ran into the coop with the other chickens. Today I went to check on her and the cut wasn't scabbed and all around it was green, her whole neck is turning green. I didn't know if that was a normal color for a chickens neck so I checked a different chicken. Her neck was pink. I brought it into my mom and she said that we might have to kill it because she wasn't going to let the chicken suffer. (She said that she wouldn't take a $2.50 chicken to a vet
sad.png
) Is there anything I can do for her? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bekah

(P.S. I would post pictures but my computer is being REALLY dumb right now.)

The green is probably just bruising. If the wound starts getting black it's gangrenous and the chicken will need to be put down. You could try treating the wound with an antibacterial cream or something. Good luck.

You can go to the feed store and get some penicillin G and give the chicken .25ml per dose. Follow the schedule on the package for how often. You can't eat eggs from the chicken or slaughter it for food for 96hrs after the last dose. The shots have to be given Intramuscularly, that means straight into the muscle of the bird.

http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

That sight gives you some instruction on how to give the shot.

You should also clean out the wound using a diluted Peroxide solution. or betadine. Then dry and dress it. You need to keep her isolated while it is healing or the other hens might peck at it.

Hope this helps a little until the experts get here.

Laney

Quote:
My mom thought about the peroxide too. THe think about dressing it is that it's on the neck, so I wouldn't want anything too tight, how would you dress something on the neck?

I would use gauze and tape. Just make the gauze loose and then use paper tape to tape it on at the top and bottom so it's not choking the chicken. You just want the wound covered so no food or dirty water get in it, you don't want it tight so it can't breath or the chicken feels strangled.

Laney

I know nothing about antibiotic ointments for chickens but I know that Blu-Kote is good for a wound dressing. Not sure if you can get that at this time of night, but any feed store will have it. I'm in the eastern time zone so it's close to closing time for most feed stores. In my tractor supply it is with the hoof remedies. Not sure why they keep it there? Any one working in your feed store should know it by name.

Laney

Triple anti biotic ointment worked great for us. Cheap kind no pain reliever in it. I packed my girls eyelids with it. They were swollen shut and yucky. I used it for 4 days and it helped. The ointment works better than cream. I would get some poly vitamin drops for her water. They are in the infant section.

use a sterile saline solution or betadine to clean the wound thoroughly DO NOT use peroxide on the wound because it will damage the good tissue. Then pack with a good triple antibiotic ointment WITHOUT pain reliever, wrap with a bit of gauze and if you have vet wrap, use that over the gauze to hold it snug but too tight. You can add electrolytes to the water to help avoid dehydration and polyvisol without iron to give a little boost. Good luck with the bird.

Back
Top Bottom