Help! Duck with broken Wing!

arexissaurus

Hatching
Jun 14, 2017
Hello everyone,
I've been a long time stalker of the forums here but after an emergency with my pet duck I decided to sign up to ask a few questions.

I have a duck who was recently attacked by an unknown dog and it broke his wing. My duck is about 2 months old. At first I thought he would be okay and he wasn't that bad. Upon closer inspection his bone is hanging out of his wing at like his elbow joint. I started him on the powder antibiotics and even went to a TSC and got him the duck safe inject-able penicillin. I created a sling to hopefully help him. and hes been in a crate since. Today I noticed that he had maggots in him, probably from being outside before I noticed his injury was as bad as it was. I cleaned it free of maggots thanks to others advice on the board. and I also used the half water half peroxide to clean it out. Its been about 8 hours since then and there's no signs of maggots anymore(Thank god)

I don't think there's anything we can do to save the wing though. It has begun to rot and he smells. Its only been about 30 hours since I first treated his wound. So I guess my question is what is the best way to remove it to save him? I really hoped it hadn't come to this but I am pretty sure its my only option now.

I have called the vets near me and none of them had experience with birds. I also contacted a farm vet in the area and they couldn't help either.

Hes a picture of him. His wing is really gross. But he doesn't let that bother him. He's still acting normal and eating and drinking. And quaking and being as stubborn as ever.

Attachments

• 20170614_040817.jpg
    20170614_040817.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 55
Sorry that happened....
Generally if bone is exposed infection getting into his bloodstream will kill him...I do not know if the bird can be saved?....i do not know if you can safely remove the wing because you would need to close off vital blood vessels or the Duck will bleed to death....
Humanely putting it down might be a better option?.....

I think a rehab place could direct you to a vet who has experience with birds. Then they can safely amputate the wing. You are probably going to get an infection in there since it's an open wound. The vet has the better drugs.
Those are the most serious. I'm so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom