Help duckilings are dying

sjm123456

Chirping
May 18, 2016
Idaho
My duck recently had 15 ducks and so far 2 of them have died. One was born with a broken beak and was not fully developed and the other just suddenly became paralyzed and died an hour later(I really don't know what happened). The 2nd ducking was fine but I found it on the ground about 10 minutes after I checked on them last, the duck was limp and couldn't move but its heart was beating and eyes were moving. This is the first time my ducks have had chicks and Im wondering if its normal for some of them to die and what I can do to help the rest.

Is she a first time mom? I just wonder if she is hurting them. I would keep an eye on them and watch her with the babies. You may have to take them away from her if she is injuring them but make sure it is her that's doing it. Are there any other ducks with her?

I know for a fact that the mom isn't hurting them because she is very gentile. I do have another duck that tried to kill the babies but I separated her before any off them died.

How old are the ducks? Are there blackflies in your area? Ducklings can be affected by a protozoan illness carried by them.

@learycow
@casportpony

Last edited:
Blackflies are different than other flies. They are very small, and in the northeast come out this time of year. They carry an illness sometimes, and ducklings that aren't fully feathered can get bitten and come down with the disease.

Have you lost any more today?

What are they eating?
If they are free ranging, are there any toxic or poisonous plants they can get into?

The deformed one could just be an act of nature. It happens fairly often in birds. Or it could be a result of a malnurished parent

The 13 ducklings seem to be going fine. They are sort of free range..we have 1/4 acres so not that much space and its all fenced in. There are mushrooms in our front yard but thy don't go out there

Back
Top Bottom