Help! Duckling on antibiotics but panting still

bstan723

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2020
Hi! So I have 3 pekin ducklings that are 5 weeks old. Two weeks ago, I took them to the vet for a respiratory infection, and they were put on TMS antibiotic orally 2x a day. Today is supposed to be their last day of antibiotic.

they all were doing much better, until 3 days ago I noticed one was making a wheezing sound occasionally, and started panting. He’s panting more frequently now and seems tired more often. What should I do? How could this be, if they are on antibiotic?

Panting, I could hear them breathing, wheezing, lethargic, sneezing

it’s strange because they all were doing so much better but now one seems to have the same symptoms occurring again

Why I asked is some infections transfer from the breeders . I know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . Domesticated ducks should be vaccinated when you get them or shortly after . There are several vaccines that they need a few need to be given 7 days a part . The good news is I can point you in the correct direction I know this will help . I don't know how to link it and I asked a girl for help yesterday to create link and she didn't respond . Funny thing is I saw the same girl complaining about rude people on BYC . This is for you www.cornelluniversity. vet duck lab . I hope this helps These people here are top notch in the US and may help you free of charge.

Why I asked is some infections transfer from the breeders . I know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . Domesticated ducks should be vaccinated when you get them or shortly after . There are several vaccines that they need a few need to be given 7 days a part . The good news is I can point you in the correct direction I know this will help . I don't know how to link it and I asked a girl for help yesterday to create link and she didn't respond . Funny thing is I saw the same girl complaining about rude people on BYC . This is for you www.cornelluniversity. vet duck lab . I hope this helps These people here are top notch in the US and may help you free of charge.
I’ve never heard of vaccines for ducks. My vet has never recommended either. What are the vaccines for?

1 . Duck virus hepatitis type 1 2. Duck virus enteritis vaccine duck plague 3. avian cholera has mouth discharge diarrhea labored breathing 4. Colibacillosis 2- 8 wks. old 5. Aspergillosis caused by mold and fungus in hay straw dirty bedding . Does this help? Some of these diseases are preventable and are caused by dirty conditions . Others only effect ducklings at certain ages mostly domestic ducks . You see most vets do not specialize in ducks so they wouldn't know this unless they hit the books . Cornell university has a duck that will help you and they also have the vaccines they sell them at discounted prices to any one . I have been giving all my shots and wormers to cats, dogs , snakes, I had a 12' Columbian red tail boa that got pneumonia and I had to give him antibiotics , pigs , foxes, coons , chickens well you get the picture . for the last 30 yrs. and now I have to give my wife shots of blood thinner every day in the belly she has terminal cancer and gets blood clots from the chemo . She has the best dr. in the USA . at Taussig Cancer Center Thank God I was giving al those shots all those years . The folks at the clinic couldn't believe how nice my wife's belly looked no black and blue marks from the shots . My advice learn everything you can it might come in handy some day . There is nothing as satifying as to help other for at no charge . Hope this helps

1 . Duck virus hepatitis type 1 2. Duck virus enteritis vaccine duck plague 3. avian cholera has mouth discharge diarrhea labored breathing 4. Colibacillosis 2- 8 wks. old 5. Aspergillosis caused by mold and fungus in hay straw dirty bedding . Does this help? Some of these diseases are preventable and are caused by dirty conditions . Others only effect ducklings at certain ages mostly domestic ducks . You see most vets do not specialize in ducks so they wouldn't know this unless they hit the books . Cornell university has a duck that will help you and they also have the vaccines they sell them at discounted prices to any one . I have been giving all my shots and wormers to cats, dogs , snakes, I had a 12' Columbian red tail boa that got pneumonia and I had to give him antibiotics , pigs , foxes, coons , chickens well you get the picture . for the last 30 yrs. and now I have to give my wife shots of blood thinner every day in the belly she has terminal cancer and gets blood clots from the chemo . She has the best dr. in the USA . at Taussig Cancer Center Thank God I was giving al those shots all those years . The folks at the clinic couldn't believe how nice my wife's belly looked no black and blue marks from the shots . My advice learn everything you can it might come in handy some day . There is nothing as satifying as to help other for at no charge . Hope this helps
Please excuse any miss spellings my computer jumps all over the place when I am typing .

Panting, I could hear them breathing, wheezing, lethargic, sneezing

it’s strange because they all were doing so much better but now one seems to have the same symptoms occurring again
I hope this helps I made another post you should read I think it has more info.

Hi! So I have 3 pekin ducklings that are 5 weeks old. Two weeks ago, I took them to the vet for a respiratory infection, and they were put on TMS antibiotic orally 2x a day. Today is supposed to be their last day of antibiotic.

they all were doing much better, until 3 days ago I noticed one was making a wheezing sound occasionally, and started panting. He’s panting more frequently now and seems tired more often. What should I do? How could this be, if they are on antibiotic?

Could you upload a video of them breathing? TO upload a video, post it on a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

Back
Top Bottom