Help! Ducks cannibalizing chickens CW: gruesome

It is definitely the ducks starting it. For some reason this flock of ducks was very aggressive, and I have had issues with them chasing the chickens in order to pluck and eat their feathers, and unfortunately it has escalated to this. Whereas, I have not seen the hens fighting/picking on each other basically at all. The hens all seem very docile.

I will definitely work on improving their diet and increasing protein, and then maybe I will introduce some new ducklings to the flock in the spring.

I really appreciate the insight and advice.
Starting over with the ducks would be a good idea. Once they pick up this type of habit it's hard to stop it. Muscovy generally are easy going. They do occasionally fight for dominance so perhaps that what started it all. You may never know the real reason.

Good gawd. That's horrifying. I'm sorry.

I'd separate them asap.
I removed the two that I originally saw doing it immediately, and things were fine for a few weeks, but unfortunately another one picked up the habit today, which I also promptly removed.

I grew up keeping Muscovies and chickens together, and have never had anything even close to this happen before 😣

I removed the two that I originally saw doing it immediately, and things were fine for a few weeks, but unfortunately another one picked up the habit today, which I also promptly removed.

I grew up keeping Muscovies and chickens together, and have never had anything even close to this happen before 😣
Yeah, I've never heard of that happening. Ever. It's crazy. I am so, so sorry.
:hugs

Idk if this is at all helpful, but I brooded chiks and ducks next to each other in separate brooders. They could see each other but not get at each other. They are closely bonded now. I haven't idea if that strategy helped them get along or if it's just their individual personalities, if course.
That’s a good idea! I may try that this spring . Thanks!

I grew up keeping Muscovies and chickens together, and have never had anything even close to this happen before
Were they ever in such a tight space?
Were they fed the same feed?
You have the often prescribed 4sqft per bird, but IMO that's bare minimum, especially if they don't have/use outside space.

My Muscovy are okay with the chickens but they are not penned with them. I don't think it is a good idea to have Muscovy and chickens penned up together. My Muscovy drake will grab hold of a chicken if one get too close but he had never injured one and my Muscovy females when broody will go after a chicken or a duck if she feels in the mood for it and most of the time they do. I'll see her grab hold of a hen and the hen is trying very hard to get away. But there has never been an injury or cannibalism. I feel something has to be very serious going on to have that happen. Nope no way they could be penned together. Also do they have access to feed and water during the day? I've had Muscovy since 2004.

It is definitely the ducks starting it. For some reason this flock of ducks was very aggressive, and I have had issues with them chasing the chickens in order to pluck and eat their feathers, and unfortunately it has escalated to this. Whereas, I have not seen the hens fighting/picking on each other basically at all. The hens all seem very docile.

I will definitely work on improving their diet and increasing protein, and then maybe I will introduce some new ducklings to the flock in the spring.

I really appreciate the insight and advice.
THat the ducks were chasing the chickens to eat the feathers is another indication that the ducks were not getting enough protein.

Sorry you have had this horrific experience. Please be sure to feed your muscovy adequately. That, along with brooding chicks and duckslings separately, will likely resolve the issue

Back
Top Bottom