Help! Egg Bound Pullet struggling to get her first egg out

BerthaBoo

Chirping
Apr 28, 2023
Alberta, Canada
Hi all,

I have a pullet (21 weeks) whose been straining for a few days now, but she was able to defecate, so I wasn't entirely sure if she was egg bound or not, especially because she hasn't started laying yet. Today I saw her straining and saw the egg. I have her in the bath with epsom salts now, but what else can I do to help?

Update: she's pushing, and I can see the egg, but it's like her oviduct won't stretch wide enough to pass the egg. What can I do?

Last edited:
I
Isn't putting oil on the cloaca risky, or is it more risky to message the cloaca with oil. One of my budgies was egg bound and I used oil to get the egg out.
It's just a few drops of warm germ oil (corn or sunflower) to make it more slippery. The oil will not get up into the oviduct as it is blocked by the stuck egg anyway.

Did your budgie have any bad side effects you attribute to the use of oil?

I

It's just a few drops of warm germ oil (corn or sunflower) to make it more slippery. The oil will not get up into the oviduct as it is blocked by the stuck egg anyway.

Did your budgie have any bad side effects you attribute to the use of oil?
Ok, that's good to know if my hen gets egg bound.

My female budgie did have two side affects, she was panting allot and she was hanging out on the ground for a bit. However in about two hours of her just relaxing on a log she did eventually fly away back to her mate.

Hi all,

I have a pullet (21 weeks) whose been straining for a few days now, but she was able to defecate, so I wasn't entirely sure if she was egg bound or not, especially because she hasn't started laying yet. Today I saw her straining and saw the egg. I have her in the bath with epsom salts now, but what else can I do to help?

Update: she's pushing, and I can see the egg, but it's like her oviduct won't stretch wide enough to pass the egg. What can I do?
I think the bath is soothing. The calcium supplements seem important now that the hen is starting to lay. I crumbled up a pill and gave some to my hen. She had some. You can open her beak and put a piece or two in there and she will chew it. I haven't tried a whole pill, so not sure how well that works.
If it's her first egg and she doesn't look like she's in a lot of pain, she may just need more time to work at it🙂

I think the bath is soothing. The calcium supplements seem important now that the hen is starting to lay. I crumbled up a pill and gave some to my hen. She had some. You can open her beak and put a piece or two in there and she will chew it. I haven't tried a whole pill, so not sure how well that works.
If it's her first egg and she doesn't look like she's in a lot of pain, she may just need more time to work at it🙂
Unfortunately this hen ended up passing, even doing everything suggested she couldn’t lay the egg.

Back
Top Bottom