Hatching
Dec 2, 2023
1) What type of bird , age and weight:
Silver Wyandott, about 8-9 months, average weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. :
Sitting frequently, tucking tail to hide vent, vent is pulsing frequently
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?:
Since yesterday
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.:
No trauma or broken bones
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I came out to put the chickens in their yard, as they graze in a feild, she was sitting by the gate. She eagerly moves to get food but will still squat down quickly to eat and drink.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.:
Bird has been eating and drinking
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. :
Poo is normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?:
2 espson salt baths, have her currently seperated, oil around her vent as well
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?: I will self treat
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
: Currently in dog crate with water and food so i can see her poo and keep her safe from the others.

I would give her some calcium citrate +D, Citracal or generic equivalent, once a day, 600 - 800 mg. That will help with contractions and help her to expel anything. Was she laying normally before this? It could be a softshelled, extra large, or oddly shaped egg, those can be hard to pass and make them feel pretty bad. Depending on where it is, sometimes they are able to pass droppings. If you insert a finger (lubed and gloved) into her vent 1 - 2", see if you can feel an egg. I would keep an eye on her. If she's at risk from others, since she's not acting normally, you may need to crate her. It's also easier to monitor that way, see if/what she passes.

Back
Top Bottom