HELP eggs in sack/ membrane hanging out of hen! **Update**

Well, I'm glad to hear you got it back in, but that's one thing--many hens may prolapse repeatedly and many experts advise culling...
hmm.png
I really don't know what to say in that respect. I hope she continues to recover!

You may have to repeat putting things back in place , as noted above, but many have found that the situation then resolves. It's a shame to remove her from what is familiar but it probably is best to slow down her laying for a bit by keeping her in less light for a few days anyway.
JJ

I thought I would give you all an update.

She continues to eat and drink. She stays away and seperated from all the others in the flock, when I let her out.

I've kept her isolated the last couple days. Last night I gave her a bath and put prep H on her backside.

She seems to be seeping something from her back end. What would this be?? It keeps her feathers all wet back there. The flies have been swarming her and she hasn't liked that a bit. I'm wondering if the redness back there is from herself instead of anyone else. When she's been around the flock, they don't bother her at all and she keeps to herself.

Her vent has stayed normal the past couple days. She is definitely not acting like her old self though.

I'm going to try and keep her completely isolated for the next two days, try to give her a bath each evening and apply Prep H after the baths. Her feathers back there that are staying real moist have kind of developed a blackness around them.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again!
Shane

I'm no expert, but if the egg was broken and didn't come out, she could be seeping the white and yolk, which now, after a few days must be starting to rot. Alternatively (or in addition), the broken shell could have perferated something and she could be infected.

You really need to keep her protected from the flies, and clean her bottom. You should also probably be giving her antibiotics, however, IMO, if you were not able to get the broken egg out, and a vet visit is out of the question, euthanizing her may be the kind thing to do.

Sorry, and good luck.

Another update:

My BO (Fluffy) is still around but is not herself. She eats and drinks on her own. She has very little color to her comb and wattles. She has only been on the nest one time since all of this started and she never did lay an egg.

The "seeping" fluid has stopped. She has dried out and her feathers aren't as dark back there as they were. She still picks at herself though.

She keeps entirely to herself. If she gets too close to the others, they bark at her and she quickly backs off. I feel so sorry for her.

Something that I've noticed in the past week or so is that her "poo" is very runny. None of my other chickens have this problem. What do I need to do? Do you think she might have worms that have gotten out of control while she was initially sick? Should I worm her?

Any suggestions? I'm hoping that if I can cure the runny poo, that might be why she has no color and might be the answer to her "unchicken-like" behavior.

Thank you for your help.

Shane

Thanks Jenski,

I am curious, what is it that leads you to believe it is infection? The combination of runny poop and dull comb/wattles? I would just like to better understand.

Thanks,
Shane

She came running out of the coop this morning when I opened the door (just like the others). She ate a little of the scratch I put out this morning but only does so if she can get to it without getting too close to the others. When she gets too close, my NHR especially, will kind of snap at her and fluffy will quickly back away.

Everything is about "as usual" here lately.

Thanks again for the help.
Shane

Sounds like she's trying to get out and eat/exercise, but still may not be 100% so she is protecting her space. That still sounds like an improvement! You might want to keep a close eye on her to make sure she eats/drinks OK, and doesn't get chased away from the feeder.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom