HELP!! extended leg chick!

gjasmine914

Hatching
Jan 10, 2024
Hi guys! My chick was hatched two days ago, this is the first time i’ve ever used an incubator. My chick holds his legs extended, not splayed, and cannot keep his balance. The only way of this chick to move is if it pushes itself backwards with his legs. He is always falling over or sitting on his butt. Again, this is not splayed or straddle leg, his legs are extended vertically. They are super strong and he’s eating and drinking well. I have no idea why he’s not able to keep balance!

EA616A90-4D0F-4F5F-B46F-2C48FA461C58.jpeg

It takes a while for a chicken to walk. It may just take a little longer than others. Did you help it out of the egg?
Anyway :welcome
i did not. the incubator i have rotates the eggs and he fell into the rotation after being born. as far as i can tell he has no joint issues or ripped tendons.

i did not. the incubator i have rotates the eggs and he fell into the rotation after being born. as far as i can tell he has no joint issues or ripped tendons.
Uh huh! You need to take the rotator out 3 days before hatching. It will hurt the chicken. Your chicken is pretty lucky to survive that.

Uh huh! You need to take the rotator out 3 days before hatching. It will hurt the chicken. Your chicken is pretty lucky to survive that.
actually, the chick was not harmed. He is not paralyzed and in fact has good leg strength. the only issue i’m having is balance and butt sitting. i seen a post on here and it said the chick could have a thiamine deficiency. i’m running out to get vitamin b and e today. the chick otherwise is eating healthy amounts, drinking healthy amounts, and uses his legs to push back for mobility. Hopefully, like the original posters chick, mine will be on its feet shortly!

actually, the chick was not harmed. He is not paralyzed and in fact has good leg strength. the only issue i’m having is balance and butt sitting. i seen a post on here and it said the chick could have a thiamine deficiency. i’m running out to get vitamin b and e today. the chick otherwise is eating healthy amounts, drinking healthy amounts, and uses his legs to push back for mobility. Hopefully, like the original posters chick, mine will be on its feet shortly!
It probably didn’t harm the chicken but it may have weakened his muscles a little

I would put him in a hammock for a few days give him some vitamin b complex, get him off his legs and just have the tips touch the ground to give him some strength but not to much.

Back
Top Bottom